Glacier Express round trip on regional trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 5:37:47 #811745

I will be based out of Wengen for 2-3 days around May 20. I was planning to take the Glacier Express or use a normal train on the Glacier route (I have purchased a 8 day Swiss Travel Family pass). On checking the timetable, I was planning to go from Wengen via Interlaken and via Kandersteg (for a more scenic route) to Brig. From Brig, I was planning to take the Glacier route upto Oberwald and from there start get back to Wengen.

My query is, rather than going back the same route to Wengen, I wanted to see if I could do a round trip via Grimselpass, Guttannen and Meiringen and then onto Interlaken. The map shows a bus route on this route, but on trying the SBB timetable, I am always getting the route via Brig only, even if I enter via Guttannen. Is my proposed option feasible? Going back the same way entirely would not make sense (especially since it is almost 5 hours one way), and I will probably drop this from my itinerary.

Thanks

Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 18:56:51 #863042

Hi Vishal,

There is a bus on that route yes – but it only runs in the summer. This year it starts June 10 and that is when it will appear on the SBB timetable. For travel in May your planned round-trip won’t work unfortunately.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 May 2017 at 4:59:59 #863043

Hi Vishal,

What about Interlaken – Brig – Andermat – Göschenen – Luzern – Interlaken? That’s a round trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 11:15:58 #863044

Thanks Rockoyster, but I checked the SBB timetable for that route, it will take me over 5 hours and 6 changeovers to get to Wengen from Andermatt.

Will just give the Glacier express a miss.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express round trip on regional trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.