Glacier Express route – most scenic section

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2020 at 7:08:03 #824980

Hi All,

Been looking at the Glacier express can someone please give some comments on which is the most section of the Route.The reason being we will be coming from Salzburg , but cannot decide if we should go to Chur and the GE from Chur to Zermatt or go to St. Moritz and to the entire route .Just want to ensure if we do the Chur-Zermatt we do not miss out on the most scenic section

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2020 at 7:20:50 #928600

There are differing views but I recommend you read 1960man’s “impartial” appraisal.

Anna
    6274 posts
    24 January 2020 at 9:48:18 #928601

Hi MPP3216,

The Glacier Express route consists of four main sections, each with their own unique scenery. Each route is described in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 0:06:18 #928602

Thanks everyone for the suggestions , looks like we have 2 options

OPTION 1 – Innsbruck-St. Moritz (catch the 13.48 train from Innsbruck with 2 changes Sargan and Chur) reach St. Moritz around 7pm overnight at St. Moritz .Next day morning Glacier express St. Moritz -Zermatt

Option 2- Innsbruck-Chur ( this gives a few more hours in Innsbruck for sightseeing catch the 15: 48 train to Chur 1 Change at Sargan)reach Chur around 7pm .Overnight at CHur . next day morning catch the glacier express form Chur-Zermatt which means we miss the St. Moritz-Chur section

Will have a think over the weekend to work out best option

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 1:20:28 #928603

Personally if I were in your shoes I would not go to Chur and then omit the Albula railway to St Moritz, and the beautiful scenery of the Engadine around St Moritz). Chur – St Moritz is only a 2 hour journey but you get the Landwasser viaduct and the spirals and loops between Filisur and Preda up to the Albula tunnel. With your option 1 you would get 2 chances to see the Albula line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 2:04:27 #928604

Here is the Albula railway on three levels at Bergün

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 2:33:35 #928605

I’d pick option 1 but when are you travelling as a matter of interest?

If you want some variety (and don’t mind arriving 9 minutes later) you can change trains at Landquart instead of Chur and go to St Moritz via Klosters Platz and Zernez. You then won’t be doubling up On the GEX route. Though doing the Albula Line in both directions does have some appeal as 1960man points out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 6:35:36 #928606

Thanks everyone looks like Option 1 seems more sensible . On another note does anyone have any suggestions when travelling between Zermatt to Wengen . Is there anyway we can include a boat ride ( like lake Thun) as part of the travel between Zermatt- Interlaken .We are planning this trip in May .

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 6:57:29 #928607

The most scenic route from Zermatt to Wengen is via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the BLS Regio-Express Lötschberger (http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-au/experiences/bls-regioexpress-loetschberger/)train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster more direct but less scenic route between Visp and Spiez passes throughthe lengthy (in distance) but shorter (in time) Lötschberg Base Tunnel(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lötschberg_Base_Tunnel).

You could theoretically stop at Spiez and catch a beat on Lake Thun to Interlaken West. You would need to check the timetables carefully. The boats are not as regular as trains and infrequent except in summer, take longer and the boat harbour is some distance from the station. I doubt it would work for you. Best to schedule a day on the lake separately. I prefer the Lake Brienz cruise for what it’s worth.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 22:39:03 #928608

Thanks for all the suggestions i will have a look

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 22:44:12 #928609

Can someone help me with the validity of the swiss travel pass.We will be staying at Wengen for 4n , is the journey between Interlaken -Wengen covered fully by the swiss travel pass or do we need to buy tickets at 50% discounted for any leg of the journey. Please correct me if i am wrong the route we need to take Interkaen -Lauterbrunnen change train here to take cable car that goes to Klein Scheidegg , but we get down at Wengen. Is the last part in CC also covered by the pass. Sorry if the question has been asked multiple times.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 23:10:08 #928610

Well first thing you need to study is the map you can download from http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Read the text on that page as well. The map will show you Interlaken to Wengen (change trains at Lauterbrunnen to the train which goes to Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg) is fully covered. Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (train) and Jungfraujoch (train) are 25% discount but everything up to Wengen is free.

The only cable car that departs Wengen is the one to Männlichen and it is discounted 50%. There is a famous 1.5 hour hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.

Another map which you might find useful is this one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 9:09:23 #928611

Hello MPP3216,

Thanks for your questions!

I would recommend the below to help you with the details of the Swiss Travel Pass:

Please get familiar with the SBB Train timetable, you will use it the whole time you are in Switzerland. Download the SBB app on your smart phone device, it’s so practical:

Good luck!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2020 at 3:52:18 #928612

HI All,

Seeking some advice , looking at our journey from Zermatt to Wengen where we stay for 4N, we have 2 possible options

1. Zermatt- Montreux (1 train change) take the golden pass from Montreux-Interlaken then onward to Wengen .This way we cover the golden pass route as part of Zermatt-Wengen journey rather than doing the golden pass separately.

2. Zermatt -Interlaken OST store luggage at train station proceed for lake cruise on Lake Brienz -Train back to Interlaken then proceed to Wengen.

In option 1 we need to carry luggage through all the different train changes .Option 2 we can store luggage at Interlaken train station , but then we need to spend another day trying to cover golden pass between Montreux-Interlaken.

Any thoughts on the above 2 options

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 February 2020 at 4:02:49 #928613

Go from Zermatt to Wengen via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the BLS Regio-Express Lötschberger (http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-au/experiences/bls-regioexpress-loetschberger/)train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster (by about 1 hour) more direct but less scenic route via Visp direct to Spiez includes passage through the lengthy (in distance) but short (in time) Lötschberg Base Tunnel(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lötschberg_Base_Tunnel)..

It is more scenic than the Golden Pass in my humble opinion and a darn site quicker. You will even have time to throw in a boat ride. Don’t do the Golden Pass just to experience that route. It is a reasonably scenic way to get from Montreux to the Bernese Oberland (or vice versa), not a must do route in it’s own right.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2020 at 4:12:03 #928614

Thanks Rockyoyster for your suggestion , I will have a look . I did not realise there was an alternate route which is more scenic. I had always read and heard about the golden pass and how scenic it was so wanted to make sure we had it covered. I will definitely have a look at this alternative option

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 February 2020 at 4:17:14 #928615

You must have missed my suggestion posted earlier (Jan 25). I thought it sounded familiar! 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2020 at 4:58:09 #928616

Yes i just realised that….so is my understanding of the route correct

Zermatt – Brig by train (Regional train 1.25 hr), I had a look the Zermatt – Kandersteg are either via Brig or Visp should i still take this option of can I do the Brig option ??

Brig-Speiz or Thun this is where i am confused on the SBB website there are 2 options IC and RE , i am guessing i need to take the RE toward Bern ??

Then from either Spiez/Thu-Wenegn via interlaken

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 February 2020 at 5:45:04 #928617

You need to go from Zermatt to Brig. The Regio-Express Lötschberger runs from Brig (well Domodossola actually but that’s irrelevant) to Bern. You will have to change at Spiez to get to Interlaken Ost. You don’t want to go to Thun.

Going via Montreux and the Golden Pass would take close to 8 hours.

A sample route is attached.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 1:00:00 #928618

Thanks a lot Rockyoyster for the suggestions and sharing the sample route.It makes it so much easy to understand.As i will be getting the 8Day swiss travel pass i am guessing all tickets will be included in the pass.Do we need to make any seat reservations on any of these trains ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2020 at 1:41:33 #928619

You don’t need seat reservations on any of the trains mentioned. Just make sure you don’t accidentally try to use the Glacier Express (which does require seat reservations) from Zermatt to Brig.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Glacier Express route – most scenic section’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.