Glacier Express running on Thursdays

Glacier Express running on Thursdays

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
fbragg
fbragg
3 posts
May 3, 2018 - 7:51 PM

Hello! I am booking a trip for 4 ladies, 15 nights overall, which includes 2 nights in Switzerland. I've got half fare cards for all, and have booked train tickets for every segment of our total 15 night trip except the Glacier Express on June 28th in train 900 from Zermatt to Chur. It needs to be THAT train so we make our connection to Zurich. and then on to Milan. I did go ahead and reserve the seats, but now that I need to buy the train tickets, I cannot find JUST the train tickets. the GEX website only sells it as a combo. I was directed by the customer service to buy the tickets on Matterhorn Gotthardbahn website. I went through the process only to find that there is no way to choose a specific train. When I checked train timetables on yet another website it won't allow me to choose Thursday , June 28th. There is a little message that says the train does not run daily, and shows me the Wednesday timetable instead.

I am so confused at this point! How can I have reserved seats for a specific train and time, yet can not buy the actual train ticket! Obviously we are on a tight schedule and unfortunately not very flexible with this part of the trip. I am afraid to wait until we get there for fear the train we need to be on will be full. Do my seat reservations guarantee we will get on that specific train? Thank you for any help!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3930 posts
expert
May 3, 2018 - 10:51 PM in reply to fbragg

Hello fbragg and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can buy can buy a ticket from SBB for that route - a ticket will work on any train on a given day. Either on-line or at any station in Switzerland. Tickets don’t sell out so you can buy it anytime from 30 days out to the day you board the train. Your reservation has already secured your seat.

Search the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) for Zermatt to Chur via Disentis/Müster. The GEX trains are denoted as such in the timetable but for tickets it is the route that matters.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3930 posts
expert
May 4, 2018 - 2:40 AM in reply to fbragg

Actually Disentis/Mustér. Or Andermatt works just as well. 🤓

fbragg
fbragg
3 posts
May 4, 2018 - 1:35 PM in reply to rockoyster

Well, that's what they told me but when I try to search the timetable it will not show me Thur. All I see is wed and the the first train is after 930. Zermatt to Chur on June 28. Trarirn 900. Then it says to the side that train does not run daily.

Lucas
Lucas
8952 posts
expert &
May 4, 2018 - 6:55 PM in reply to fbragg

Hi fbragg,I'm getting Glacier Express departures on June 28 without issue on the timetable.

I'm not sure what trouble you may be having...

departing Chur at 07:52, 08:52, 09:52

rockoyster
rockoyster
3930 posts
expert
May 4, 2018 - 7:55 PM in reply to fbragg

You may have struck a weird time zone bug with the SBB . If you can’t make it work don’t stress. Just buy a ticket in Switzerland. You already have your seats reserved so no rush to get ticket.

fbragg
fbragg
3 posts
May 5, 2018 - 12:36 PM

Ok. Still can't pull up the 28th on the timetable, but we will just buy the tickets there. Thanks for the reassurance and help!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018