Glacier Express seat reservation, Brig – St Moritz

• aefy19
    Participant
    1 post
    26 June 2022 at 15:30:23 #827607

Hi, I want to buy Glacier Express seat reservation, and have Swiss Travel Pass. The plan is taking the train from Brig to St Moritz. Can someone advise which reduction can i choose if i have the Swiss Travel pass. I’m confused because the reduction for “Swiss travel pass (flex, youth, flex, youth)”. so, not sure if i can choose the same since i have the normal Swiss Travel pass (for 6 days) nor youth/ flex. Or should i choose for “reservation only”?

Also, is there anyone knows what’s the difference between Classic and Excellence class?

Your help is very much appreciated! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 June 2022 at 3:35:17 #943629

Hi aefy19,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you don’t need a ticket to ride the Glacier Express. You just need a seat reservation. So select reservation only when you book you online.

The Classic Glacier Express provides first and second class seating. The Excellence Class was introduced only recently and provides extra services at at a much higher surcharge (CHF420). The coaches have more legroom ( single window seat on each side) and come with on-board concierge, exclusive bar and a premium multi-course lunch.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2022 at 10:56:21 #943630

Hi aef19,

In fact the Swiss Travel Pass option (including the Flex and Youth variants) and the “reservation only” option come down to the same in this case: the ride is for free and you only need a reservation. So no matter which of the two you select, you end up paying the same price that only consists of a seat reservation.

If you do select the Swiss Travel Pass option, then there’s no difference between a normal Swiss Travel Pass or the Flex and Youth variants for this trip, so you can safely check that box.

You can find more information here: https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 June 2022 at 7:46:53 #943631

Hi Arno , would like to ask is it compulsory to add on seat reservation for all the scenic train (Bernina express, Glacier Express, Gotthard Panorama Express, Voralpen-Express) with STP ?

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 June 2022 at 7:54:28 #943632

Hi tencneo,

Seat reservations are compulsory on the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Gotthard Panorama Express. However it is not required on the Voralpen Express.

Regards,

Anna

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 June 2022 at 9:08:01 #943633

Thanks Anna

How is the validity of the seat reservation works ? Using Glacier Express as example Section 1 Zermatt to Brig , if i get off and explore in Brig is my seat reservation still valid for Section 2 Brig to Andermatt ? And what if i stay in Brig for a night , is my seat reservation on Glacier Express still valid for the next day ? Thanks

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 June 2022 at 10:27:28 #943634

Hi tencneo,

The seat reservation is only valid for the specific connection you selected (date/time/route specific). If you decide to get off half way, you would need to make another reservation for a seat in the next train or for the next day.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2022 at 22:39:35 #943635

Do remember that you can travel all ‘scenic’ railway routes on regular trains without advanced reservation fees or supplementary fares – all trains give the same lineside views

Bernina Express:

This can be covered on the regular train Chur – St Moritz hourly IR train and regular trains on the Bernina Railway

Glacier Express:

This can be covered by regular MGB and RhB railway regional trains

Gotthard Panorama Express:

This is a largely obsolete train that only runs once per day 6 days a week – the same railway can be covered by the much more up-to-date , hourly Treno Gottardo trains.

Voralpen Express

Uses the same up to date trains as the Treno Gottardo, reservations not necessary

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    29 June 2022 at 3:24:32 #943636

Noted thanks a lot will study about Treno Gottardo as well 🙂

Would like to ask , as I’m aware only ‘older’ regular trains able to roll down the window throughout the journey ? Is there any way I can know the indication of ‘older’ trains from the SBB app ?

Also are all scenic trains guaranteed able to roll down the window ?

Thanks in advance !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 4:59:12 #943637

Hi tencneo,

this will be useful for you, please read it: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/photo-buff-best-scenic-train-without-glare.

On the weekend I was going to Schynige Platte and the train had openable windows. Before we opened a window, we asked permission for everybody who was sitting close to it. Nobody was against it. But I can imagine that other way too. The point is that there are also other factors that can define whether you can open a window. 🙂

In the timetable, you can find the number/name of the train, that could help you a bit regarding is it an old or a new train.

Ildiko

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    5 July 2022 at 17:47:41 #943638

Thanks for the heads-up Ildiko and the link as well read a lot what to prepare for a good photo !

Assume all are well to open the window , based on the attach sample timetable from SBB , anyway i can know the number/name of train is able to open the window ? I had browse through the SBB trains (http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/during-your-journey/our-trains.html) , cant tell which trains are able to

Appreciate if there’s any datapoint from the members here

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2022 at 8:08:09 #943639

Hi tencneo,

if you click on the different options in the SBB app (on the screenshot that you shared), you’ll be able to see the number of the train. But if it is not a specific train, you cannot tell the info about the window. Even for the specific trains, there won’t be unfortunately anything that directly tells you whether you can open the window or not. What you can do is search on Google for pictures and see if you can find anything useful. Old trains usually have windows to open, new trains have closed windows.

I am sorry, that is that difficult.

The other you can do is to write to SBB and ask them, but they are usually slow in answers – according to my experiences.

Ildiko

tencneo
    Participant
    23 posts
    6 July 2022 at 13:03:31 #943640

Hi Ildiko , thanks for your reply. No worries , it’s been really helpful here and i’m already very amaze with the timetable and details of the public transport system in CH . I’ve never encounter (yet) a country’s train system so systematic and all info are just under our finger ! it’s really advance 😀

• The thread ‘Glacier Express seat reservation, Brig – St Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.