Glacier Express seat reservations details

• Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    24 February 2020 at 3:50:37 #825330

Thank you to everyone for the help they have already given me in planning my trip to Switzerland. I am nearly ready to book the seat reservations for the Glacier Express (just have to wait a few more weeks before the date I want becomes available).

We will be travelling from Zermatt to Chur so after reading the information at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere I think we would be best to sit on the left hand side of the train. Is this correct?

Also, how do I know from the diagrams on the Glacier Express website which is the left hand side? I’m pretty sure I read an excellent post from Rockoyster about this but didn’t write it down and now can’t find it. Sorry. If anyone can help I’d really appreciate it. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 February 2020 at 6:44:29 #930734

Herewith, excellent report from rockoyster. 🤓

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/seat-reservations-on-the-glacier-express

Heading from Zermatt to Chur I think the right hand-side is favoured apart from the Rhine Gorge bit where the left may give a slightly better view. But in the panorama coaches it’s really no big deal.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2020 at 7:16:31 #930735

Hi Marggy! I have also tried to know which side is left and which is right…(for train travelling direction)….For that I watched all the YouTube videos available for FIRST CLASS coach …and it seems for travelling from Zermatt to St. Moritz direction…the right side is the single seat line . Double seat line comes on left side…so if you are considering to reserve in first class…can select any from single line seats.(though this is my observation)

For second class (2×2)it is difficult to decide😊

Have a nice trip.

If others have different opinion please do post.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 February 2020 at 7:19:29 #930736

Hi Sheila,

That accords with my experience – see http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/seat-reservations-on-the-glacier-express.

Your way of working it out was innovative indeed. 10/10!

Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    24 February 2020 at 10:02:56 #930737

Thank you both for the information, it is really helpful and much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2020 at 2:15:30 #930738

Thank you rockoyster for the compliments…😊…The problem is…when you try to reserve seats on the train, all the single line seats on wagon 1 shows as occupied for e.g.. 29th May 2020 …on wagon 2 also many seats are occupied already.If we can reserve only before 93 days…How come all these seats are occupied already?

(29th May is the date comes after 93 days from today…)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2020 at 5:52:14 #930739

Hi Marggy,

at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere you also can read about where to sit. For example from Zermatt to Brig: it doesn’t really matter on which side you sit, from Brig to Andermatt: the right side of the train is slightly better, etc.

You can buy your tickets (if you do not have any valid pass) and seat reservation at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

Ildiko

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 February 2020 at 10:33:36 #930740

Hi Sheela,

Perhaps travel agencies have booked a lot of seats for that particular train. I’d wait for one or a few days and see what happens.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 February 2020 at 19:56:48 #930741

I’m seeing several single-row seats on the 7.52 and at least a pair on the other 2 trains.

2nd Class is largely empty.

On the 8:52 Wagon 1 is the Excellence Class which shows full on the normal booking page because there is a separate booking process for it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2020 at 19:39:12 #930742

I was wondering if I could get some clarification, we have reserved seats in the Glacier Express Excellence Class but thought we also had to had to buy the seat itself? Very confusing..can anyone chime in?

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 March 2020 at 20:13:48 #930743

Lucky you! 😉

You each need a seat reservations AND a 1st Class ticket (or 1st Class Saver Day Pass) unless you have a Swiss Travel Pass in which case tickets are not required.

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App (bit.ly/2ICIUHi ) or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy online you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website or SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2020 at 21:59:37 #930744

Many thanks for the quick reply.

We have Eurail Global 1st Class Senior Passes, with the Excellence Class Seat Reservation are we set?

Aloha from Hawaii!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 March 2020 at 22:16:08 #930745

G’day from Australia.

You are indeed, as they say in the Classics, set. 😎

• The thread ‘Glacier Express seat reservations details’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.