Glacier Express – Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2010 at 6:34:20 #804077

Hello,

Can you help me with a question please? I will be travelling with 3 adults in early May 2011 and we want to take part of the journey on the GE (Chur to Zermatt). Some of our other travel around Switzerland will also be by rail. Can we get a discount on our GE tickets using the Swiss Half Fare Card? Does this particular discount card apply to the GE?

Thanks,
    Ian

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 December 2010 at 7:53:45 #832052

Hi Ian,

The Swiss Half Fare Card provides a 50% discount on Glacier Express tickets (excluding the seat reservations).

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2010 at 8:10:29 #832053

Thanks Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2010 at 9:11:36 #832054

OK, One more question (sorry!)
    I have bought the Half Fare Cards but apparently they can only be issued 2 months before they are valid – but we will want to book the GE earlier than this because the GE bookings can be done 90 days before travel and we will want to guarantee our reservations on the GE as soon as we can. Is there anything you can suggest – we do about this?
    Thanks,
    Ian

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 December 2010 at 15:14:20 #832055

Hi Ian,

You don’t need to posses your Swiss Half Fare Card in order to arrange for seat reservations. The seats can be booked separately through the page I linked to in my previous message. The (discounted) tickets Chur – Zermatt can be purchased in Switzerland, or online. As long as you have all 3 documents (Half Fare Card, tickets, seat reservations) when you board the train, you’ll be fine.

Does this answer your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2010 at 16:10:09 #832056

Hi Arno,
    Yes, that answers the question – thank you. I hadn’t realised that I could reserve the seats on the GE before buying the actual rail tickets.
    Ian

• The thread ‘Glacier Express – Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.