Glacier Express – Swiss Travel Pass upgrade

• NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    19 May 2022 at 17:26:42 #827231

Dear Sir/Mam,

I am planning to book the Glacier Express on July 22(Friday), If I go with first class do I need a Swiss travel Pass first class also? I am going to get a Swiss travel pass the regular only.

I am coming from Interlaken OST and catch the glacier from brig to chur, then back to interlaken.

Is the Brig to Chur will cover the highlight of glacier express or i will miss some beautiful scenery (if i will start from zermatt to st. Moritz)

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2022 at 18:03:25 #942062

Hi NannyNorman,

we just had a similar question today, please have look at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/1st-or-2nd-class-swiss-travel-pass-1. That might be useful for you too.

In brief: yes, you need a 1st class Swiss Travel Pass if you would like to travel 1st class. But you can upgrade your 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass for a single ride such as the Glacier Express, see “Traveling 1st class with a 2nd class pass or ticket” at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass.

You can read about the sections of the Glacier Express route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

What is your plan, how are you going back to Interlaken from Chur?

Ildiko

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    19 May 2022 at 18:19:58 #942063

Thank you for your help, I will take a regular train from Chur back to interlaken. Do you have any suggestion?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2022 at 22:54:25 #942064

I presume Ildiko was just checking that you understood that the ‘regular train’ Chur – Interlaken would be via Zurich and Bern, another 3 hour journey.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2022 at 23:48:12 #942065

Brig to Chur covers some of the best bits of the ‘Glacier Express’ (all also viewable from regular regional trains on the same line). See my personal explanation as follows:

Glacier Express

The Glacier (and Bernina) Express trains are special trains on the RhB and MGB lines which run in addition to normal ordinary service trains. The ‘panoramic’ coaches on these trains require a reservation or supplementary fare to be paid in addition to the normal fare. In all cases ordinary trains can be travelled on on the RhB/MGB network without paying any additional fare.

In all cases if you choose (or find yourself on) an ordinary train you won’t miss the scenery as all Swiss train carriages on these lines have large windows giving good views.

The Glacier Express runs East – West across the southern edge of Switzerland, so it is not ideal for a day trip from bases such as Interlaken and Luzern. The six ‘best bits’ of the Glacier Express are listed below.

Travelling West – East, the full Glacier Express route by ‘section’ and the key ‘famous/spectacular’ zones are as follows:

Zermatt – Brig

Brig – Andermatt

Superzone 1 : Grengiols viaduct over ravine, then ascent via spiral tunnel

Andermatt – Disentis

Superzone 2 : Andermatt to Naetschen incline: loop the loops up a steep mountainside from Andermatt

Superzone 3: Oberalp lake, Oberalp Pass eastern descent

Disentis – Chur

Superzone 4: Ruinalta (Swiss Rhine Gorge)

Chur – St Moritz

Superzone 5: Filisur – Berguen: Landwasser viaduct (the most iconic bridge on Swiss railways); spiral tunnel up from Filisur towards Bergun

Superzone 6: Berguen – Preda : spirals and loops, railway loops back on itself several times so you can see where you are about to go, and then look back to where you have just come from

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    20 May 2022 at 6:31:21 #942066

Ok, Thank you

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    20 May 2022 at 6:34:58 #942067

So, Chur to St Moritz still have an amazing scenic view, if i will continue my journey to st moritz from Brig, i have still a time to go back to interlaken by regular train from st moritz?

Thank you

Anna
    6279 posts
    20 May 2022 at 9:22:15 #942068

Hi NannyNorman,

Travelling on the Glacier Express from Brig to St Moritz, then St Moritz to Interlaken all in one day is going to be rather long journey. The journey from Brig to St Moritz takes about 6.5 hours. St. Moritz to Interlaken via Zurich about 5 hours. Fairly doable if you don’t mind spending almost the entire day on a train. Optionally you could spend one night in St Moritz and do a little sightseeing.

Regards,

Anna

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    20 May 2022 at 10:20:29 #942069

Thank you Anna, I dont mind travelling on train, what time the last glacier express will arrive in st moritz? Can i still catch a train going to zurich (so i can get off at interlaken)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2022 at 11:58:35 #942070

As I have already mentioned the Glacier Express runs East – West across the southern edge of Switzerland, so it is not ideal for a day trip from bases such as Interlaken and Luzern, which are ‘detached’ from the Glacier Express route (the northern part of the high Alps gets in the way!)

Extending to St Moritz and coming all the way back to Interlaken is not a good idea as it would take 14 hours. St Moritz and Graubunden/Engadine deserves a few days or more to be fully appreciated.

Sfarns216
    Participant
    13 posts
    20 May 2022 at 13:20:46 #942071

Thank you for this, 1960man. Question: is there a preferred side of the train to be seated on, going West to East? We will be traveling from Zermatt to St. Morris in August. We do not have our tickets or seat reservations yet – do you know if we can specify a side? Although I just realized that doesn’t 1st class have a 2 and 1 layout so we won’t have a choice? (Yes, 1st class definitely, since my husband is 6’4” and appreciates more leg room.) Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I love these forums!

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    20 May 2022 at 13:30:01 #942072

Thank you very much, I will plan if i stay overnight in st moritz and back to interlaken the following day

Anna
    6279 posts
    20 May 2022 at 14:04:03 #942073

Hi again,

The Glacier Express train leaves Brig in the morning at around 10.15am and arrives in St. Moritz about 16.30. There are several connections from St Moritz that will get you back to Interlaken by 2300. You can check the train schedules on the SBB timetable.

Regards,

Anna

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    20 May 2022 at 17:25:13 #942074

Thank you Anna

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2022 at 11:34:36 #942075

Hi sfarns216,

The preferred sides of the trains are mentioned for each section here: https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere. Unfortunately you can’t specify sides when booking seats (https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets). Some platforms allow you to pick particular seats, but the driving direction of the coach is never indicated. You can theoretically switch sides/seats on a normal train without seat reservations, but there’s no guarantee there will be enough empty seats to do so. Don’t worry though, views on either side will be lovely!

Sfarns216
    Participant
    13 posts
    21 May 2022 at 12:35:51 #942076

Thank you, Arno, for your input. I figured seating anywhere would be good, but thought I would ask … just in case. I’m just very excited to be going to Switzerland (finally!) so I know I will enjoy it all.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express – Swiss Travel Pass upgrade’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.