Glacier Express ticket for 3 year old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 5:00:38 #816062

I plan to travel via glacier express on 21/7/2018. We are two adults and one child aged 3years. I bought seat reservation for the 3 of us on the glacier express. We plan to use the Swiss travel pass and family card. Does she travel free of cost on her own seat( reservation, I have taken) or does she need some kind of extra ticket?

In the Bernina Express, she was charged 30 ch. Normal reservation is 12 ch. The glacier express reservation site does not show any such option.

Also, I tried booking the golden pass reservation at tickets.goldenpass.ch but the site hangs and cannot generate ticket reservation. Is there any other way?

Kalyan Dutta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 5:18:05 #885621

Hello Kalyan and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you want your 3 year old to have a seat then you need a reservation. Seat reservations prices are the same whether the seat is occupied by a child or an adult.

A 3-year old travels free on the Glacier Express or on any other train in Switzerland. You don’t need a Swiss Family Card unless you children are 6 to 15.

Having said that there is a problem with the BEX booking site. To get the correct reservation price you have to nominate that your child is 6 – 16 and is travelling with a Swiss Family Card to get the right price. They know about the problem an will fix it – one day.

For the Golden Pass have you tried here?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 7:08:27 #885622

Thanks a lot for the clarification . I would have saved 18ch on the BEX if I had not booked earlier .

I also plan to take the chocolate train but I am staying in Interlaken . Are the trains always on time ? Is it possible to reach Montreux by 8:36 am if I catch an early morning train from Interlaken . The change at an intermediate station is just 5 -6 minutes.

Also how do I book the chocolate train. Do children under 6 travel free on the chocolate train?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:02:10 #885623

Hi Kaylandutta,

You can find details on the Chocolate train here: http://www.goldenpass. ch/en/goldenpass/offer /view?id=15

Trains are pretty much always on time yes – 5 or 6 minute connections are not unusual.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 21:14:11 #885624

Hello Kalyan,

if you made the BEX reservation direct with http://www.RHB.ch then if you email them and explain you circumstances they will refund the overcharge. It is after all their fault their website is incorrect.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 5:03:45 #885625

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 4:24:23 #885626

I wrote to BEX directly. They did acknowledge their mistake but expressed their helplessness with the refund since it’s an online ticket(as per their rules). I guess the matter rests there. Thanks a lot for the help. Appreciate. Regards, Kalyan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 16:59:22 #885627

Glad it all worked out – they are usually quite quick and reasonable. 🙂

• The thread ‘Glacier Express ticket for 3 year old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.