Glacier Express travel for EURAIL pass holders

• Somnath
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 April 2012 at 20:14:48 #805115

Hi Everyone,

I along with my wife would like to travel by Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt on July 7th 2012. We will be carrying a EURAIL Global Saver Pass for 21 days contineous travel. I understand that this pass is not valid for travel from Disentis to Zermatt and I would have to buy a separate ticket for this sector of the journey. I also understand that I will be entitled to certain discounts (25% ?) if I show my EURAIL Global Saver Pass when buying this ticket. A seat reservation is also a must for us on Glacier express. Now my questions are as under:

1. Are my above understandings correct?
    2. How much I would have to pay for the ticket from Disentis to Zermatt after discounts for two 1st Class seats excluding reservation charges?
    3. How many days before my travel would you recommend that I reserve my seats?
    4. I believe I can reserve my seats on-line through the official Glacier Express website. Am I correct?

Look forward to your reply with all the relevant guidances asap.

Thank you in advance

Somnath

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    15 April 2012 at 8:45:53 #835564

Hi Somnath,

I have checked and I came to the same conclusion!
    Your Eurail Pass will give you free traveling on trains of Rhaetian Railway (RhB), i.e. from St. Moritz to Disentis with the Glacier Express. The Glacier Express route covers two different Railway Companies, the Rhaetian Railway and the Matterhorn Gotthard Railway (MGB). The MGB has a different policy concerning discounts with the Eurail Pass. You’ll get a discount, but I’m not sure whether it will be 25 % or a 50 %.

As far as I know, you can make your reservations for the Glacier Express independant from having your tickets. As it is not sure how your Eurail Pass will work with ordering your tickets for the leg Disentis to Zermatt, I suggest you ask the MGB through this link.

In general, it would be wise to make reservations as early as possible: it would be a pity if you can’t make reservations because there are no seats left (as you’ll travel during high season)!

I hope this will help you and wish you a very pleasant stay!

Somnath
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 April 2012 at 12:22:39 #835565

Hi Wandermann,

Many thanks for your reply. I will be of great help.

Somnath

• The thread ‘Glacier Express travel for EURAIL pass holders’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.