Glacier Express Zermatt to St Moritz early October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 10:18:53 #813212

Hello

Well i just want to know in first week of october, whether it is possible to cover full journey from Zermatt to St Mortiz via Glacier express and return back to Zurich via normal train in a single day as i am having my train to Italy early next morning. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 September 2017 at 10:38:24 #869593

Hello Abhidneha,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! Yes, the Glacier Express will operate from Zermatt to St. Moritz in early October.

Note that you don’t need to travel via Zurich to reach Italy. If you do the Glacier Express the other way around you will end in Zermatt. From there to Milan takes about the same amount of time as Zurich to Milan. You can skip the extra ride and save over 3 hours this way.

Another, even better option (scenery wise), is to take the Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Tirano the next morning. Then continue to wherever you need to be in Italy from there. All options can be found in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 11:19:02 #869594

Thanks for your prompt reply. Well I have already booked glacier express, my hotel and train ticket from Zurich to Italy. So considering other option though better but not possible in my case.

My concern is whether i can continue the glacier express journey to St Mortiz or i should drop down at Chur and take train to Zurich. i have heard that scenery from Chur to St mortiz is awesome but don’t want to leave my train to Venice.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 September 2017 at 12:06:23 #869595

You are very welcome! Chur to St. Moritz is wonderful. If you have to go through Zurich I’d recommend to stay take a direct train from St. Moritz to Landquart via Klosters. In Landquart you can connect to Zurich. That way you’ll see another nice route too, instead of the same one back to Chur twice. Hopefully you’ve booked the earliest Glacier Express which arrives in St. Moritz at 3:58 PM. Sunset is around 7 PM so until that time you can enjoy the scenery. Optionally you can get off the Glacier Express in Samedan (10 minutes before St. Moritz). That may allow you to save an hour or so, by taking the train to Landquart there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 13:22:05 #869596

thank. It helps me lot. I ll do the same

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 2:52:30 #869597

If you would like to see some photos of the train trip from St. Moritz to Landquart via Klosters, mentioned above by Arno, you can find them attached to my post of Feb 28, 2017 – 4:36 AM (and the following post) on this page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Glacier Express Zermatt to St Moritz early October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.