Glacier Express trip: package or DIY?

• doctorlol
    Participant
    12 posts
    5 March 2020 at 10:35:04 #825413

Greetings from the UK. We have visited Gstaad often, used the train from GVA airport and changed on to the MOB at Montreux. This year we would like to go on the Glacier Express. Reading about this train journey, I have learned that it is in fact a regular swiss rail train, with some rather expensive seats! I assume that you can travel from either Geneva or Zurich , to get to Zermatt, and then pick up the train to St Moritz. Stay and return via Brig to Geneva. Is this a good plan? Will it save us money or would an agent be better? TIA doctorlol

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2020 at 21:58:31 #931146

Hi Doctorlol and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Also greetings from Lausanne 🙂

Glacier Express is not exactly a regular train, as it has larger, panoramic windows, you can listen to information about the route using the provided headphones and it is the only direct train from Zermatt to St. Moritz. But it is true, that the view will be the same with the Glacier Express and local trains. You can read more about the train and also what is the difference between regular trains and the Glacier Express at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress.

Yes, you can travel to Zermatt and then follow the Glacier Express route on local trains. You do not need an agent to be able to book the Glacier Express, you can do it for yourself at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets. Or if you wish you can book a package here http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/packages. It is up to you which one you prefer. Some people like this more the other that one.

I hope this answers your question,

Ildiko

Also check these:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2020 at 0:46:13 #931147

Personally I’m not a particular fan of the modern, sanitised Glacier Express – using the regular trains on the same routes is a more ‘local’ experience. Take care with the hyperbolic marketing of the Glacier Express – they know how to make money out of tourists. In practice it is just an ‘exclusive’ train on a normal railway route with plenty of other normal – non supplement, reservation-free trains on it. Personally I also dislike the commentary – often hyperbolic statements about stuff that you can see with your own eyes.

‘rushing’ to Zermatt to get to the Glacier Express western start point completely misses the point of visiting Zermatt which is to travel above Zermatt village, enjoy the local scenery (far more glaciers visible than from the Glacier Express…) and view the Matterhorn.

To understand the above, it is worth taking a moment to understand the Glacier Express and its history:

It was created (as one train each way daily) with the notion that well-healed travellers taking long holidays in Switzerland in the ‘Belle Epoque’ era (1930s) would stay in Zermatt and then also go and stay in the other fashionable resort of the time, St Moritz. The train was named (mainly) after the Rhone Glacier which has now melted so much that you don’t see it from the train and in any case the train runs under the Rhone Glacier in a base tunnel which replaced the Furka mountain section in 1982.

Points to bear in mind about the Glacier Express:

Although the whole journey is in the mountains, a lot of it is in valleys – where you get some good views of bubbling rivers but not all the time – there are some mundane sections.

in truth there are only 4 really spectacular sections – in order West to East: the loops around Grengiols and Fiesch; Andermatt – Oberalppass – Disentis; Ruinaulta (Rheinschucht aka Rhein gorge); Albula north ramp loops and spirals Tiefencastel – Filisur – Preda

The trip is a long one – tourists can frequently be seen sleeping rather than watching the view and missing the spectacular bits anyway!

the same railway lines can be travelled using ordinary local trains which are no slower in practice due to the single track infrastructure

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 March 2020 at 2:08:50 #931148

<<“well-healed travellers”>>

I suspect that they are healthy.

However, they also need to have money:

“well-heeled..”

Slowpoke

doctorlol
    Participant
    12 posts
    9 March 2020 at 16:07:12 #931149

Hello again. So far we have decided to get a Swiss Rail Flex Pass using First Class, for four days on the trains. That allows us to break the journey, without a penalty. Hence we arrive in Zurich about noon; get the next train, on a first class carriage, to St Moritz, we will need to change trains. Stay in St Moritz for two nights, not sure of which four star hotel to select so your personal advice would be welcomed. Day three go via Glacier Express, using the 1st class pass, and just paying for the reservation and lunch. Arrive in Zermatt for two nights. Again advice is required to select a four star hotel, near the train up the Matterhorn, but also near town centre. Day five go to Montreux via Brig on Swiss Railways, and up to Gstaad via MOB. Day eight travel to GVA airport via Montreux. Hence getting full use of a very expensive first class flex pass. So now over to you, is my DIY better than using agents etc? Best wishes and be safe from the virus from London.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2020 at 19:00:27 #931150

Hello Doctorlol,

I am quite convinced that DYI as you’ve planned it is the best option, allowing you to cater for all your personal needs and preferences. Moreover, you have a perfect idea of how and where/when you want to travel, so why get an agent involved?!

The only situation that might justify an agent is the current health situation as you often hear that things booked online are hard to get refunded, due to the lack in personal contact. To keep an eye on this topic see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

For accommodation recommendation in both St. Moritz and Zermatt, please see below links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/hotels
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/hotels

You will find input on all other destinations you mention by typing them into the search bar of this page. For more additional input see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpassflex
    http://www.myswissalps.com/airports/geneva

Hope this provides some guidance. Get back to us anytime for further input.

Best,
    Steph

doctorlol
    Participant
    12 posts
    9 March 2020 at 19:56:29 #931151

Hi Steph, thanks for the firm vote of confidence in my DIY!!! Having done a little more research, would I be better spending just one night in St Moritz and three nights in Zermatt. The Mont Cervin looks simply amazing, and might be worth the extra money?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2020 at 23:53:37 #931152

No – I suggest 2 nights in each place is fine. The St Moritz (upper Engadine) area is very scenic, so don’t rush your time there.

A few responses to your earlier comments:

“Arrive in Zermatt for two nights. Again advice is required to select a four star hotel, near the train up the Matterhorn, but also near town centre.”

Zermatt is a small place, most of the big / posh hotels are in the main village. The railway station (from Brig/Visp) and the Gornergrat station are in the village centre.

There is no ‘train up the Matterhorn”. You either take the Gornergratbahn for wide views across to the Matterhorn (and close up views of Switzerland’s highest peak the Dufourspitz which is ‘close’ to Gornergrat summit. Or you take the Matterhorn cable cars from the south end of the village.

“Day five go to Montreux via Brig on Swiss Railways”

All railways in Switzerland are ‘Swiss Railways’ but I know what you mean!

You don’t go via Brig. From Zermatt the train is the MGB railway to Visp, changing into SBB CFF (Swiss Federal Railways)

“and up to Gstaad via MOB.”

I don’t think there is much to see in Gstaad. Might be better to stay on the Montreux area.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express trip: package or DIY?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.