Glacier express Vs Golden pass -5 days itinerary

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
h16vyas
h16vyas
2 posts
May 9, 2018 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

I am visiting Switzerland in mid may 2018 for my honeymoon. I will be arriving to Basel from Paris on 19th May via train by 3 pm. I need help to choose scenic trains based on following itinerary.

Day 1 – Paris - Basel – Wengen : I think we should arrive to Wengen by evening (7 PM). Can we explore anything nearby at late evening?

Day 2 – Wengen to Jungfraujoch top of Europe: Does it require full day? If not then can we go for Golden pass train and do the round trip to Montreux? What if we leave Jungfraujoch by 3 pm can we do return trip from Montreux on same day? We will be staying in wengen for this night.

Day 3 – Wengen to Lucern: Take other part of Golden pass from Interlaken OST to Lucern. Check in to hotel at Lucern and then go for classing round trip or majestic round trip to Mt Rigi. Can this be done in afternoon session after we reach to lucern and do the checkin to hotel?

Day 4 – Lucern to Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus.

Day 5 – We have to checkin to hotel at Zurich by night as we have early morning flight next day. After checkout from Lucern hotel should we go for Golden pass trip (if it’s not possible on day 2 from wengen) or we should go for Glacier express. Whatever trip we pick, it should end at Zurich. Can you suggest the best one?

Also, should we go for 4 days Swiss pass and buy point to point ticket from Basel to Wengen for first day or we should go for Half fare card with one day travel pass for first day?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Hardik Vyas

rockoyster
rockoyster
3345 posts
expert
May 9, 2018 - 10:45 PM in reply to h16vyas

Day 5 you could follow Gotthard Panorama Express (www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) route to Göschenen then to Andermatt then to Chur on Glacier Express (www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) route. Then to Zurich.

You can follow these routes on regular trains. Getting a seat on GEX could be a challenge so close to travel date.

You are probably too late to get Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) at best price for day 1.

To work out best pass you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

1960man
1960man
164 posts
May 10, 2018 - 12:23 AM

Technically speaking the Golden Pass really just refers to the Zweisimmen - Montreux MOB railway. The Interlaken - Luzern railway is really the Brunig railway, traversing the nice, but quite low altitude Brunig pass. Just treat this as two separate excursions.

Doing the Montreux section is quite a slog from a Wengen base I would say, especially with Jungfraujoch on the same day.

I agree with Rockyoyster, Luzern - Göschenen - Andermatt - Oberalp - Chur - Zürich is a good circuit for a day, with a nice fast sprint back from Chur to Zürich. And you get two of the best bits of the GEX route (Andermatt - Oberalp and the Ruinaulta Rhine Gorge), plus the Schöllenen gorge from Göschenen to Andermatt. However I suggest you do not do any of the route on 'special' services. Ordinary trains are available on the whole route without any need for reservations or worry about getting the right coach etc.

Last modified on May 10, 2018 - 12:30 AM by 1960man

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018