Glacier Express – which side is left on seat map?

• KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    21 July 2018 at 12:54:00 #817379

Hi there,

We are planning to do the Glacier Express from Interlaken in Sept. We are thinking of doing the section between Brig and Chur in one day. i.e. going to Brig in the morning and then returning from Chur in the afternoon.

I am looking to make seat reservations for the Glacier Express in September from Brig. According to the advice here, the best side to sit is the left hand side for the Andermatt-Chur leg, and no major difference for Brig-Andermatt leg. So based on that – looks like left side is the better overall.

Question though… on the seat map during booking process, which side is left and which side is right? There is no indication which direction the train is travelling in the map diagram. Is 15-66 the left side or the 11-62 the left side?

Thanks for putting together such a great website! The information here makes it so much easier planning my trip.

Regards, Kevin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2018 at 22:26:48 #891994

Hello Kevin and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

That’s a long day on the rails!

They say direction of travel is not guaranteed but in my experience the left-hand side of the train travelling west to east is the top of the plan. I don’t think it makes that much difference. Despite the name of the train don’t expect to see any actual glaciers from either side. 🤓

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    21 July 2018 at 22:52:36 #891995

Thanks rockoyster. Do you think it’s too long a day on the train?

I suppose it’s a bit long…

Interlaken OST 7:23

Brig Arr 8:40

Brig Dep 9:18

Andermatt Arr 10:46

Andermatt Dep 10:54

Chur Arr 13:26

Chur Dep 14:09

Interlaken OST 17:28

Would you advise doing a shorter section? Only from Brig to Andermatt?

What do people usually do?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2018 at 23:00:05 #891996

I wouldn’t countenance such a long day in train seats. Personal taste.

You can hop off at Andermatt and head up to Luzern. Problem is Brig to Andermatt is the least interesting part of the GEX route. Andermatt to Göschenen is striking.

Though still a long day you could go to Andermatt, then to Flüelen and paddle steamer from there to Luzern. It’s a fabulous boat ride and at least provides some variety to riding the rails.

Are you visiting Zermatt. That’s another option for a day trip from Interlaken.

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    21 July 2018 at 23:31:34 #891997

I figured it would be OK because the entire GEX that people normally do is 8 hours?

I looked at the Autumn boat timetable for Lake Luzern (http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/)… So alternatively…

1. Andermatt -> Fluelen Train dep 11:40 arr 12:41
    2. Fluelen -> Luzern Boat dep 13:00 arr 15:47
    3. Luzern -> Interlaken OST dep 16:06 arr 17:55

Is that enough time for transits between the three legs?

I guess the alternative is to do the last GEX from Zermatt…

1. Interlaken OST -> Zermatt train dep 07:00 arr 09:14
    2. GEX Zermatt-Andermatt 09:52 -> 12:46
    3. Andermatt -> Interlaken OST train dep 13:37 arr 16:57

The possibilities and combinations are doing my head in. Just so many options.

What’s the common itinerary followed by people who wants to do a section of the GEX from Interlaken?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 July 2018 at 0:23:22 #891998

<<“What’s the common itinerary followed by people who wants to do a section of the GEX from Interlaken?”>>

Hard to say.

The timetable helps a lot.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 July 2018 at 3:16:03 #891999

I would strongly advise against going to Zermatt just to turn straight round and catch the GEX. If you go to Zermatt then you should consider just enjoying the day there and skip the GEX. If you do that you should go at least one way between Interlaken and Zermatt via Kandersteg for a really nice scenic journey. You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

If you have your heart set on doing the GEX because it is a major tourist train, tick an item off the bucket list thing, then go for it. You wouldn’t want to get home and say “Gee I wish I had done the GEX all the way to Chur” or whatever.

We can only give you information and opinions – you get to make the tough decisions. 😇

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    22 July 2018 at 5:51:51 #892000

I heard lots of good things about the GEX that’s why I want to do it. This trip will be with my mum (+70) so I thought a scenic train journey would suit her. (The price difference between Brig-Chur and Brig-Andermatt is CHF10 per person with the STP. I am tempted to just reserve Brig-Chur and get off at Andermatt if it’s she’s had enough of train for the day. But I would be hogging 2 seats from Andermatt-Chur and wasted a bit of money.)

Actually our next stop after Switzerland will be Italy. I had planned to take the train. The RegioExpress Lötschberger looks like a train that we can do as part of the route. We have to get to Brig for train to Milano Centrale. We could take the 08:12 RE4261 from Spiez arriving at Brig 09:20. Then the 9:44 from Brig to Milan. (This is an awesome find thank you!) We will have the Swiss Travel Pass, the Lötschberger is covered right? All I need is a seat reservation?

Thank you very much for all your expertise!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 July 2018 at 6:03:15 #892001

The RegioExpress Lötschberger runs from Bern to Domodossola so you can do the Kandersteg trip then. Coming from Interlaken you will pick it up at Spiez. The STP will cover you to Domodossola and you shouldn’t need reservations. You will need tickets and seat reservations from Domodossola to Milan.

Enjoy the GEX. 😎

Another alternative to get to Milan is to go to Lucerne and take the boat/train Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) to Lugano and on to Milan from there.

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    22 July 2018 at 7:02:19 #892002

Oh right. I thought the RegioExpress Lötschberger has to be reserved like the GEX.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/bls-regioexpress-loetschberger.html

“Seats, including window seats with extra large windows, can be reserved at every service railway staion.”

I thought it’s one of panoramic trains?

I take it that I should buy a ticket from trenitalia ahead for the leg between Domodossola and Milano Centrale?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2018 at 7:18:45 #892003

Hi KCH,

You can reserve the Lötschberger train but it isn’t mandatory. The train offers panoramic windows between Domodossola and Locarno.

I would buy the Italian train tickets ahead of time yes. Prices tend to go up as you get closer to departure on them. https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    22 July 2018 at 7:34:41 #892004

Thanks Lucas, rockoyster!

This is an amazing website.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 July 2018 at 8:16:15 #892005

<<“I looked at the Autumn boat timetable for Lake Luzern (http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/)… So alternatively…

Andermatt -> Fluelen Train dep 11:40 arr 12:41

Fluelen -> Luzern Boat dep 13:00 arr 15:47

Luzern -> Interlaken OST dep 16:06 arr 17:55

Is that enough time for transits between the three legs?”>>

Hi KCH-

Belatedly –

Normal train connections in Switzerland are designed for 4 minutes. If that’s not enouhh, more time will be allowed. For example, at Bern 6 minutes is allowed. At Spiez, itmay be shorter…then the trains are on the two sides of the same platform…just walk across it.

At Flüelen the ship landing is directly adjacent to the railroad station. 4 or 5 minutes is more than enough.

Slowpoke

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    22 July 2018 at 11:04:06 #892006

Thanks Slowpoke. I take it that with STP we can just walk on to the boat and show to the crew when they come around to check. No queuing for tickets.

Switzerland is just a very well thought-out country, which makes it hard to plan in a weird way because there are so many options.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 July 2018 at 11:10:26 #892007

Hi KCH! Correct, the boat ride is covered by your Swiss Travel Pass. So is the Lötschberger route. Just show your pass when asked for. A validity overview, including a downloadable map showing all routes, is available at https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 July 2018 at 11:11:28 #892008

You can indeed hop on the boats with your STP.

The upper deck is reserved for 1st Class so if you have a 2nd Class Pass you will need to buy an upgrade to get upstairs. Can be bought onboard.

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    22 July 2018 at 11:38:39 #892009

Thanks Annika. Yeah I knew about the map but when I check it… for the Lötschberger there are these two dash lines for that route which doesn’t look like the dotted lines that requires additional payment. So I got a bit confused with their meaning. But google tells me it’s covered by STP.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2018 at 11:53:39 #892010

Hi KCH,

If you download the map from Annika’s link you’ll find a legend explaining those lines in the upper right corner. The map is the definitive source. Google is pulling information from other websites which may or may not be accurate. The dashed lines are tunnels and fully covered.

Enjoy your trip!

KCH
    Participant
    38 posts
    22 July 2018 at 12:14:06 #892011

Woow that’s some tunnel!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 July 2018 at 12:53:45 #892012

<<“Thanks Slowpoke. I take it that with STP we can just walk on to the boat

and show to the crew when they come around to check. No queuing for

tickets.”>>

Correct

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 July 2018 at 13:22:22 #892013

Hi KCH-

<<“Woow that’s some tunnel!”>>

There are two tunnels. An old,relatively short on on the Lötschberger route, between Kandersteg and Gopenstin. You end up at Brig agfter going domw the sid wall of the valley.

There is new, much longer high speed “Basis” ( base) tunnel which runs from near Frutigen to Visp. It takes one hour off the journey. I find that the scenery in that tunnel is notably less interesting than on the old upper route.

If you are working the timetable, you’ll likely need to include Kandersteg as a “via” point, because otherwise, the timetable picks the fastest routes.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Glacier Express – which side is left on seat map?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.