Glacier or Bernina?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2012 at 5:01:54 #805714

Hi, I will be getting an Eurail pass and I’m planning to spend 1 day in zurich, 1 day in Zermatt, then take either Glacier Express or Bernina Express.
    I’ll be going to Venice afterwards.

Which is more feasible and cost-effective forme, Glacier or Bernina?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 December 2012 at 11:47:51 #837819

Welcome ellecll! From Zermatt, you can directly board the Glacier Express to St. Moritz, so that one makes more sense. From St. Moritz, you can travel to Venice via Thusis and Bellinzona, or alternatively catch the Bernina Express tot Tirano first. This is a detour though. All routes can be found through the timetable. As for costs: most Eurail passes cover the Glacier Express except for the leg Zermatt-Disentis. The Bernina Express route up to Tirano is entirely covered; the bus line between Tirano and Lugano is reduced. For both scenic trains a separate reservation fee has to be paid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2012 at 23:08:10 #837820

Thanks for your reply!

Is it possible to travel overnight from St. Moritz to Venice if I do not want to stay overnight at St. Moritz?

Annika
    7121 posts
    11 December 2012 at 13:17:58 #837821

Hi ellecll. No, there’s no comfortable night train connection from St. Moritz to Venice. You can travel by night via Sargans and Inssbruck, but you’d have to switch trains halfway through the night. The timetable I mentioned provides details.

• The thread ‘Glacier or Bernina?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.