Glacier/Bernina Express trip with reservations

• awks911
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 January 2019 at 13:48:28 #819545

Hi,

We’re planning a 3-day trip to experience the Glacier and Bernina Express trains. Probably mid April – is this a sensible itinerary? I’m assuming that there is still plenty of snow to see on these routes in April?

1. UK-Geneva-Zermatt
    2. Zermatt-Chur
    3. Chur-Tirano-Milan-UK

Flights and Accommodation look OK, but First Class Seat Reservations on the Glacier Express (keen to get 2 single window seats) appear to be snapped up as soon as they are released (3 months out). Is this normal? and are there any tricks to getting the seats to want?

Many thanks – any help much appreciated

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 15:05:11 #902466

Hi awks911 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Snow should be there for you to experience at the higher elevations along those routes yes. They are having a pretty heavy winter in some of those areas so far this year.

1. http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere
    2. http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere

You can use the timetable to find the needed train departure schedules. Everything is doable but some long days on trains there! I suppose that is the point of the trip though. 🙂

There are no secrets for reservations that I know. You could try using HappyRail here:

awks911
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 January 2019 at 16:50:15 #902467

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the quick reply.

In terms of a 3-day pass, then as I’m not using cable cars etc, is a 3-day STP is the same as 3 x “Saver Day Pass” ? I understand that both STP and the Saver Day Pass can be used on Glacier and Bernina Express trains.

If I’m reading the prices correctly, then looking the max 60 days out, the Saver Day Pass (without the Half price Card) is currently 52CHF (2nd) or 88CHF (1st) per day which would appear to make this a cheaper option than the STP (232CHF/369CHF) – or am I missing something?

Many Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 17:38:14 #902468

In your case, with your plans, the Saver Day Pass can work as long as you buy it at or close to the 52chf price point (it fluctuates in price as you can see).

The coverage isn’t the same with both passes (though similar) but as I said for your plans the Saver Day Pass could work out a little better: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2019 at 20:00:08 #902469

You can pick the seats you want for the Glacier Express at bit.ly/2rpARTl and for the Bernina Express at bit.ly/2W4N0LO.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 0:29:07 #902470

Snow will be starting to disappear at lower altitudes but will probably still be plentiful at higher altitudes.

If you can’t get reservations you can do the trip on normal trains without paying any extra; Zermatt – Chur can be done with 3 changes of train, useful if you want to stop off and have lunch etc on ‘terra firma’

Chur – Tirano can be done on normal trains as well with 1 (depending on time and date) or 2 changes of train

And I agree, Saver Day Pass would work if you stick to ‘national network’ trains which you are apparently doing.

• The thread ‘Glacier/Bernina Express trip with reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.