Glacier/Bernina Express inexpensive midpoint hotel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2019 at 21:32:51 #821894

September: We are traveling from Zermatt on Glacier Express (or it’s free counterpart) on day 1, staying overnight and then traveling Bernina Express. St Moritz was my original plan for the overnight, but the lodging is so expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation for another town we could stay overnight… keeping in mind that we need to catch the Bernina Express Bus in Tirano at 2:20 on day 2 to get to Lugano for our overnight (correct me if I’m wrong on that).

I found cheaper accommodations in Lenzerheide, but after mapping it, I’m unsure about the travel time on day 2 to Tirano. We will have luggage so we need to be near some sort of station. We go to bed by 9 so we don’t need tons of nightly activities, just a town with a nice place for dinner (we like food!) and a bed.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2019 at 4:19:15 #913525

Hi

same trip – almost by us in sept.- we booked early and got good rates at Hotel SteffaniHauser Hotel is also good. don’t know the current rates, but they do run specials on small what they call “chic” rooms

good luck

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 May 2019 at 7:03:10 #913526

Hi Linamary69,

Oldie gave you some good options, and you may want to look into the suggestions here as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz/hotels.

I would not stay in Lenzerheide for one night. It is off the Glacier/Bernina Express lines, and there is no train station, making the trip longer than necessary.

A few more options:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2019 at 12:18:32 #913527

Thank you! Pontresina Youth Hostel seems like a great choice. Reviewers raved over breakfast and it seems having breakfast included in Swiss hotels is not the norm. Double win!

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 May 2019 at 13:15:18 #913528

I’m glad you found what you needed! Breakfast included is the norm, but perhaps in recent years they found that there’s more demand for low rates without breakfast.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Glacier/Bernina Express inexpensive midpoint hotel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.