Glacier Express closed in November 2019

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 11:41:07 #824176

I am trim Singapore . Travelling from 31 Oct to 10 Nov in Switzerland before heading to Venice on 11 Nov. iIntend to buy 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. 31Oct Arrive Zurich. Proceed to Lucern till 2 Nov . Visit Rigis, Titlis

2 Nov .Lucern to Lauterbrunnen.

3-5 . Visit Schilthorn and ten go Montreux

5-7 Zermatt GLAZIER EXPRESs CLOSED

7-10 Saint Moritz

10-11 Nov. lugano

11-14 Nov Venice.

Can anyone please advise. Should I changed

Lucern to Saint Moritz,

Saint Moritz to LAuterbrunnen, Lauterbrunnen to Montreux, Montreux to Zermatt .

Zermatt to Venice skipping Lugano . Kindly advise as I have never been to Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    13 October 2019 at 17:35:53 #923570

Hi Thcshc,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The Glacier Express route is not closed, it’s just that the official Glacier Express train does not operate. You can still follow the exact same route on normal trains. You will have to change trains a few times along the way, and a small section (Lax to Oberwald) will be by bus because of engineering works. So if you don’t mind a slightly longer trip you can still see the whole route.

Please find more information here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 18:43:42 #923571

Hi,

Thank you for the information. Do you know how Much Longer it takes for this route without the glazier express train? Total how much time ?

Is the route still going to be scenic? Would it be better if I go to Saint Moritz upon arrival in Zurich, then go Lugano and travel by the Gotthard Panorama route to Lucern. After Zermatt, I will take a train to Venice. I checked. Journey to Venice almost 8 hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 18:58:24 #923572

Tried keying in Zermatt to Saint Moritz. Seems only go through Zurich

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 22:54:33 #923573

That will be because computer railway time apps will always choose the fastest route.

You need to do an advance search and add in some ‘via’ points

Firstly be warned that you don’t see many, if any at all, glaciers from the Glacier Express.

To travel the Glacier Express route you need to take several trains (but see my info on the Glacier express on your other duplicating thread)

Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB) – red/cream narrow gauge trains

Zermatt – Visp – Brig – Fiesch – Andermatt $$

$$ – change trains – sometimes at Visp, sometimes at Brig; depends on time of day

change trains at Andermatt

Andermatt – Disentis Muster

Change to

RhB railway (red ‘main line’ type narrow gauge trains):

Disentis Muster – Reichenau Tamins

change

Reichenau Tamins – St Moritz

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 October 2019 at 5:49:12 #923574

Hi Thcshc,

If you go the Glacier Express page I linked to, you can visit the Route tab. The timetable section there explains about the via points 1960man mentioned.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express closed in November 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.