Glacier Express closed in November 2019

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Thcshc
Thcshc
18 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 11:41 AM

I am trim Singapore . Travelling from 31 Oct to 10 Nov in Switzerland before heading to Venice on 11 Nov. iIntend to buy 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. 31Oct Arrive Zurich. Proceed to Lucern till 2 Nov . Visit Rigis, Titlis

2 Nov .Lucern to Lauterbrunnen.

3-5 . Visit Schilthorn and ten go Montreux

5-7 Zermatt GLAZIER EXPRESs CLOSED

7-10 Saint Moritz

10-11 Nov. lugano

11-14 Nov Venice.

Can anyone please advise. Should I changed

Lucern to Saint Moritz,

Saint Moritz to LAuterbrunnen, Lauterbrunnen to Montreux, Montreux to Zermatt .

Zermatt to Venice skipping Lugano . Kindly advise as I have never been to Switzerland

Arno
Arno
14100 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2019 - 5:35 PM

Hi Thcshc,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The Glacier Express route is not closed, it's just that the official Glacier Express train does not operate. You can still follow the exact same route on normal trains. You will have to change trains a few times along the way, and a small section (Lax to Oberwald) will be by bus because of engineering works. So if you don't mind a slightly longer trip you can still see the whole route.

Please find more information here:

Thcshc
Thcshc
18 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 6:43 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the information. Do you know how Much Longer it takes for this route without the glazier express train? Total how much time ?

Is the route still going to be scenic? Would it be better if I go to Saint Moritz upon arrival in Zurich, then go Lugano and travel by the Gotthard Panorama route to Lucern. After Zermatt, I will take a train to Venice. I checked. Journey to Venice almost 8 hours.

Thcshc
Thcshc
18 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 6:58 PM

Tried keying in Zermatt to Saint Moritz. Seems only go through Zurich

1960man
1960man
2242 posts
top member
Oct 13, 2019 - 10:54 PM in reply to Thcshc

That will be because computer railway time apps will always choose the fastest route.

You need to do an advance search and add in some 'via' points

Firstly be warned that you don't see many, if any at all, glaciers from the Glacier Express.

To travel the Glacier Express route you need to take several trains (but see my info on the Glacier express on your other duplicating thread)

Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB) - red/cream narrow gauge trains

Zermatt - Visp - Brig - Fiesch - Andermatt $$

$$ - change trains - sometimes at Visp, sometimes at Brig; depends on time of day

change trains at Andermatt

Andermatt - Disentis Muster

Change to

RhB railway (red 'main line' type narrow gauge trains):

Disentis Muster - Reichenau Tamins

change

Reichenau Tamins - St Moritz

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Arno
Arno
14100 posts
expert &
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:49 AM in reply to Thcshc

Hi Thcshc,

If you go the Glacier Express page I linked to, you can visit the Route tab. The timetable section there explains about the via points 1960man mentioned.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019