Summer in Geneva with Eurail Global Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 17:34:36 #811465

Hello,

My partner and I will be living in Gaillard, France while working at the University of Geneva and WHO for 2 and a half months this summer. We intend to travel around Europe on weekends and time off, so are considering purchasing the Global Eurorail pass for the entirety of our trip. Will the Eurorail Global Pass cover any buses we may need to take in and around Geneva? In my understanding, our daily commute will include a train from Thonex to Geneva center, and buses to the university and WHO headquarters. We just want to be sure that the pass we choose to purchase will cover our daily commute in addition to planned weekend travels.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2017 at 5:28:18 #861830

Hi Brie,

Unfortunately, the Eurail Global Pass doesn’t include city transit. You can read more about the Eurail Global pass and what is covered (and partially covered) here. There is a map for you to look at as well. The pass will be great for most weekend trips in Switzerland and nearby countries but not for daily commutes.

You will want to look at a local transit pass for Geneva for daily commutes I think.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2017 at 14:02:27 #861831

Hi Lucas,

Thanks so much for you response. We’re leaning toward getting a UNIRESCO pass for Geneva once we arrive in addition to a 15 day non-consecutive Eurorail Global.

Thanks for your help!

-Brie

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 April 2017 at 14:55:19 #861832

Hi Brie!

The Unireso ticket will provide free traveling for 80 minutes: myswissalps.com/airpor ts/geneva. If you’re staying in a hotel or apartment, you’ll also receive a free Geneva Transport Card that allows free traveling in town throughout your stay: myswissalps.com/geneva /travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2017 at 14:58:15 #861833

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your response

We will be stayng in an apartment in Gaillard, France, so I assume that the free Geneva travel pass won’t apply to us for the entire 2 months.

Thanks for the information about the pass from the airport!

-Brie

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 April 2017 at 16:20:28 #861834

Ah, I missed that you’d be staying outside of Geneva. In that case, no, the Geneva Transport Card won’t be an option for you.

• The thread ‘Summer in Geneva with Eurail Global Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.