Summer in Geneva with Eurail Global Pass

Summer in Geneva with Eurail Global Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Brie
Brie
3 posts
Apr 19, 2017 - 5:34 PM

Hello,

My partner and I will be living in Gaillard, France while working at the University of Geneva and WHO for 2 and a half months this summer. We intend to travel around Europe on weekends and time off, so are considering purchasing the Global Eurorail pass for the entirety of our trip. Will the Eurorail Global Pass cover any buses we may need to take in and around Geneva? In my understanding, our daily commute will include a train from Thonex to Geneva center, and buses to the university and WHO headquarters. We just want to be sure that the pass we choose to purchase will cover our daily commute in addition to planned weekend travels.

Thank you!

Lucas
Lucas
8877 posts
expert &
Apr 20, 2017 - 5:28 AM in reply to Brie

Hi Brie,

Unfortunately, the Eurail Global Pass doesn't include city transit. You can read more about the Eurail Global pass and what is covered (and partially covered) here. There is a map for you to look at as well. The pass will be great for most weekend trips in Switzerland and nearby countries but not for daily commutes.

You will want to look at a local transit pass for Geneva for daily commutes I think.

Lucas

Brie
Brie
3 posts
Apr 20, 2017 - 2:02 PM

Hi Lucas,

Thanks so much for you response. We're leaning toward getting a UNIRESCO pass for Geneva once we arrive in addition to a 15 day non-consecutive Eurorail Global.

Thanks for your help!

-Brie

Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
Apr 20, 2017 - 2:55 PM

Hi Brie!

The Unireso ticket will provide free traveling for 80 minutes: myswissalps.com/airpor ts/geneva. If you're staying in a hotel or apartment, you'll also receive a free Geneva Transport Card that allows free traveling in town throughout your stay: myswissalps.com/geneva /travel.

Brie
Brie
3 posts
Apr 20, 2017 - 2:58 PM

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your response

We will be stayng in an apartment in Gaillard, France, so I assume that the free Geneva travel pass won't apply to us for the entire 2 months.

Thanks for the information about the pass from the airport!

-Brie

Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
Apr 20, 2017 - 4:20 PM

Ah, I missed that you'd be staying outside of Geneva. In that case, no, the Geneva Transport Card won't be an option for you.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018