Going to the bathroom on the trail

• remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    15 May 2013 at 16:16:38 #806001

Sorry to gross anyone out, but I have a practical question.

I’ve only ever done wilderness hiking in the US where there are few people and you can ‘go’ where ever you like and leave it to turn back into soil.

It seems to me the Via Alpina is going to be semi-crowded in early July. Where do people ‘go’, say mid-way between Gimmelwald and the pass at Seinfurke or between the pass and Bundalp?

What’s the protocol for toilet paper usage? Dig a hole and cover it back up?

Thanks 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2013 at 6:47:12 #838696

Hi Remyo,

I don’t know about any official regulations, but I guess these are the unwritten rules:

• Use public toilets in rail stations, cable car stations, restaurants, etc. whenever possible. For example, there’s the RotstockHütte between Gimmelwald and the Sefinafurgga;
    • If possible, take along any garbage and dispose of it in the next village;
    • Indeed cover up anything that you can’t take along and use degradable material only.

I hope you manage 🙂

• The thread ‘Going to the bathroom on the trail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.