35 posts
    4 April 2018 at 23:18:39 #815143

Hi, we are 3 travellers going from Lyon to Luzern on 19th June. Our plan is

Arrive Geneve 10.31

Arrive Montreux 12.11

Montreux to Zweisimmen 12.53 arrive 14.52

Zweisimmen to Interlaken Ost 15.38 arrive 16.49

Interlaken Ost to Luzern 17.04 arrive 18.55

Part of this will be on the Golden Pass however I don’t want to pay for seats on the train and am happy to use regional trains. I have been told that it is probably the Golden Pass train I will be travelling on and it could be full without a seat reservation. Is this likely and is there a way I can do regional trains? As we are doing the Bernina Express I am more interested in travelling this route for the scenery than using the train.

And, if it is the Golden Pass train, can you make a reservation on the train without actually booking a seat or is this like the other trains in Switzerland where you just board. Thank you once again for all your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:40:01 #880970

Hello Denise,

First things first. A reservation is a seat booking. So your “can you make a reservation on the train without actually booking a seat” makes no sense. Not your fault – it can just be hard to grasp.

OK, so whether you have a reservation or not you also need with a ticket for the trip or a Swiss Travel Pass which covers the journey.

If you look at the SBB Timetable the Golden Pass trains which you might want to reserve seats on run between Montreux and Zweisimmen and are denoted MOB Belle Epoque (classic) or MOB Panoramic. If the trains are not so denoted then they are plain old regional trains.

Trains on the other legs of the GPL are just regular trains although the Interlaken Ost to Lucerne revels in the rather illustrious title of the Luzern – Interlaken Express. 🤓

Reservations are a nominal price. Read about the reservation process here http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:08:25 #880971

Hi Rockoyster, thank you for coming to my rescue again.

Sorry for the confusion…I thought being the Golden Pass you could make a booking and then get on the train and find a seat without actually ‘booking a seat’.

Also, sorry I don’t understand what you mean with OK, so whether you have a reservation or not you also need with a ticket for the trip of a Swiss Travel Pass which covers the journey.

We have a Swiss Travel Flexi Pass so is that enough?

When I look at the timetable the train from Montreux to Zweisimmen at 12.53 on the 19/6 is an R224…is this a normal train? http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml

The train from Zweisimmen to Interlake Ost leaving at 15.38 arriving at 16.49 says RE..is this a normal train? http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml

We don’t particularly want to go on the Golden Express, we are just doing this route because I had read about it in one of your previous posts on how pretty it is.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:28:35 #880972

Have you read this Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass)?

Don’t stress about whether you are on a MOB Golden Pass train or not. The scenery is just the same. The 12:53 is just a regular train. All the trains from Zweisimment to Interlaken Ost are regular trains. Nothing special there.

If you click on each train on the timetable it will expand and show some details. A MOB panoramic train looks like attached.

You weren’t clear on “whether you have a reservation or not you also need with a ticket for the trip of a Swiss Travel Pass which covers the journey.”

Not surprised – that should have said “whether you have a reservation or not you ALSO need either a ticket for the trip OR a Swiss Travel Pass which covers the journey.”

To all intents and purposes a Flex Pass is the same as any other Swiss Travel Pass as far as coverage goes. If you don’t have any pass you need a ticket. The ticket or the pass “pays” for the journey. The reservation fee secures you a specific seat. Is that clear now?

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:42:57 #880973

Great, thanks. We will have our Swiss Flexi Pass and as I now know that we don’t book regional trains, I will have my timetable and my Pass and just board the trains!! Thank you!!!!!!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train – Lyon to Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.