St Moritz, Lucerne, Golden Pass, Montreux 8 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2018 at 23:49:43 #819137

Hi There,

My friend CJ posted previously, but I am trying to finalize the details. We have the following once we arrive into Zurich from Vienna on the morning of January 8th.

1) Zurich to St. Moritz (2 nights) – Intercity train to Chur, but then could we take the Bernina Express to St. Moritz. Otherwise, the backup is to take the Albula Railway.

2) St. Moritz to Lucerne (3 nights) – Via Andermatt as we are hearing that it is more scenic.

3) Lucerne to Montreux (3 nights) – I wanted to use the Golden Pass, but it looks like there is renovation between Zweisimmen and Montreux. Plus the trains are operating until 8 Dec according to your website.

We are flexible with changing the plans within Switzerland. We plan to leave for Paris on January 16th, most likely via train. Otherwise, we can do a flight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alicia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 December 2018 at 2:20:49 #900147

Hello Alicia and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. I wouldn’t bother with the Bernina Express. There is only one departure at 8:32am from Chur and you need to leave the BEX at Pontresina to reach St Moritz. Use regular trains instead. No reservations required.

3. Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your Golden Pass Line travel. You won’t need reservations. Search from Luzern to Montreux via Meiringen and Zweisimmen. I don’t see any construction work planned for the dates you have in mind. Perhaps you mean the carriages with VIP seats which are out of operation at the moment.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 December 2018 at 7:01:06 #900148

Hi Alicia,

2. Via Andermatt is the Glacier Express route, which is indeed scenic. The first part from St. Moritz to Chur you would be backtracking however, it is the same route as your incoming trip. Instead, you could take a train from St. Moritz to Landquart and Chur via Klosters. Then from Chur to Andermatt to Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 8:54:53 #900149

Thanks for the information.

Below is the information I found from (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere) on the Golden Pass Route tab.

Dates of operation

The trains operate daily until 8 December 2018. Please check again later for further dates.

Tip: check the timetable before you start your trip.

Note that the Golden Pass line is being renovated until 2022, particularly between Zweisimmen and Montreux. This will result in improved rolling stock, and direct trains from Interlaken to Montreux without a switch in Zweisimmen.

From 3 September 2018: the GoldenPass MOB Panoramic coaches with VIP seats will be renovated and will therefor not be available. Regular panoramic coaches will be available.

Whether or not your trip will be affected by the renovations can be found in the timetable. Further details are in this PDF document.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 9:41:05 #900150

Thanks! With the route mostly nailed down, I am trying to see if it is better to get a rail pass or purchase a half price rail card for the tickets. Is the Glacier Express included in the rail pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Arno
    15471 posts
    10 December 2018 at 10:37:34 #900152

Hi Licia,

For what’s included in the Swiss Travel Pass, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. For help on comparing passes price wise, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘St Moritz, Lucerne, Golden Pass, Montreux 8 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.