Golden Pass trip in April 2018 – reservation?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 20:04:43 #814661

Hi All,

Really hoping someone can help me.

I’m planning a surprise trip to Switzerland for my partners birthday (slowly starting to regret it!) and I am really struggling on the logistics of travelling around Switzerland. We’re flying into Geneva and I’m planning on staying in Interlaken. I initially had planned to take the Golden Pass train from Geneva airport to Interlaken OST but to my understanding you are unable to reserve seats for April due to the constructions? I’ve read a lot of conflicting posts so could someone please confirm whether the train is actually still running in April? If so, is it safe to just wait until we get there and buy the tickets at the airport?

I’m planning on going into Lauterbrennan some of the days for some hikes and exploring and then I was planning on just doing the more direct route back to Geneva airport on the way back (via Bern, Lausanne).

Does individual tickets sound like the best option for us rather than a rail card for example?

Any help would be much much appreciated as I’m planning this without my partner for once!?

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 20:33:03 #878005

Hello Emily,

Yes, you can catch the Golden Pass Line train Montreux to Zweisimmen and on to Interlaken. You can’t make reservations in April (no big deal at that time of year) and you will be transferred to a bus at Montbovon for a short section. Should be seamless.

A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass (if any) suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Also have a look at this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018 and http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/early-april-7days-hiking-bernese-oberland-zermat regards hiking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 21:23:36 #878006

Hello!

Thank you so so much for your response, it is much appreciated. Really helpful regarding the Golden Pass thank you. So as we can’t reserve, is it just a case of showing up on the day and buying the ticket? Is it safe to do this in terms of availability? I can’t seem to find a price for the Golden Pass line Montreux – Interlaken, do you know roughly how much this would be pp?

All super helpful thank you. Is it fairly easy to buy tickets for trains when we are over there rather than having to pre-book every single journey? If so I think it might be easier to just do this as from what I can see not many of the Gondolas/Cable cars are open when we are there and we prefer hikes that are solely on foot, so wouldn’t need the discounts that come with the swiss pass. We are also only there for 4 days, so I don’t feel the half fare pass would be that beneficial to us.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 21:25:41 #878007

Apologies forgot to ask also, is it possible to buy the half fare rail card when we’re over there, incase we change our minds after looking at fares?

Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 21:34:43 #878008

To find the price for the Golden Pass you need to use the timetable and look for Montreux to Interlaken OST via Zweisimmen. Full-fare should be CHF54.

Bookings (as in reservations) are not required generally in Switzerland. Tickets never sell out. You can buy tickets as you go or on-line at SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 9:04:13 #878009

Hi Emily,

Yes, you can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card at any manned rail station. You can also buy it online here. It is then emailed to you for printing at home. It may well be quite worthwhile for you to have it. It gets you 50% off all train, bus, boat and cable cars – very handy in the Jungfrau region (Interlaken is the biggest city there).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 12:55:38 #878010

Hi Lucas,

That’s brilliant, really helpful thank you. I think as it seems quite easy to buy tickets when you’re over there, I’m going to wait until we get there and my partner knows the plan so we can decide what’s best 🙂

Completely off topic but it seems like a lot of the cable cars/gondolas aren’t running when we’re over there which isn’t too big of a deal as myself and my partner enjoy hiking and climb a lot of mountains, so are there many hikes/trails in the Jungfrau region that are solely on foot and will be open end of April?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 13:32:50 #878011

Hi Emily,

Yes, gondolas/cable cars are limited in April due to yearly maintenance (its the low season here). You’ll find a list here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/gond olarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018 & here https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/cabl ecar-maintenance-in-switzerland-in-april-2018

Hiking will be an issue at that time though due to snow levels – snow shoeing might be an option. Winter hiking trails are starting to melt enough that they close it until it can be opened properly/safely in June. This is true above elevations of 1800-2000 meters or so.

Best to look at our hiking page here and check in with local tourism offices when you are there to see what may be available but most won’t be open I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 14:48:44 #878012

Lucas, I’m new to the forum and haven’t been able to figure out how to get a message to you regarding the funicular in Stoos hence my responding to Emily’s post. Do you know if it is possible to book tickets for July or is it just first come first serve? Half of their website is in English but the rest in German. We would like to visit in July and would be travelling from Zurich. Your information has been very helpful. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 16:04:48 #878013

Hi Lucas,

Ah that’s useful, thanks! Unfortunately I have already booked the flights so will have to stick with these dates but I’m hoping there will be some hikes/trails open that we are able to do! We do have a lot of the gear for snowy walks, so if the trails are open this wouldn’t be an issue for us!

Last question I promise but the prices that I’m seeing for trains on the timetable, is this likely to be the same when I get there or do they fluctuate/get more expensive when you buy over there instead of pre-booking?

Thank you so much for your help so far, it is greatly appreciated 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 18:13:21 #878014

Hi Pippinlux and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can reply on the thread that matches your topic (my trip report for example) or just start your own thread. 🙂 No matter where you post, myself or another moderator will see it and reply.

There is no need to pre-book. Just show up and buy a ticket if needed (or perhaps you will have a rail pass that covers the trip). The funicular runs regularly…if you miss one departure there is another in 15 or 20 minutes. Also all trips on transit can be found on the Swiss railways timetable (bus, cable car, train, funicular etc).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 18:16:55 #878015

No, the ticket prices remain the same and it won’t matter how early you book or if you buy online or at the rail station 10 minutes before departure. You’ll see some times of day are cheaper than others as well (rush hour tends to be pricier for example).

This is different for international tickets, where booking in advance can be much cheaper.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 19:54:55 #878016

Hi Emily,

Don’t forget the price you see in the Swiss Timetable will generally assume you have a half-fare card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 22:41:35 #878017

Amazing, thank you so much for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 22:41:56 #878018

Noted, have been doubling all fares 🙂 Thank you!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass trip in April 2018 – reservation?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.