Golden Pass train trip on April 28, 2018

Golden Pass train trip on April 28, 2018

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
racheldoran
racheldoran
5 posts
Mar 22, 2018 - 10:12 PM

Apologies in advance - I know this topic has been discussed over and over due to the construction on the line during this period of time. I thought I had a good understanding of what was going on, but today, I went to see how booked things were - just to ensure I shouldn't book anything in advance, and I seem to be getting different results.

On April 28, 2018, we are hoping to leave from Interlaken West somewhere between 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM. We will complete our journey in Montreux. We would like as much of this journey to be in a panoramic train. We also have Eurail Select country passes that include Switzerland.

From the Golden Pass website, I see I can book Interlaken West to Zweissman. Although I have been told I don't need to. If I don't book anything for that leg, do we just hop on the train with our Eurrail Select passes and that is it?

From Zweissman to Montreux I know there are stops and there is a bus to hop on shortly. Where can I find the most panoramic options for this leg? One site I ended up on said no trains would be running this day at all (!!!) Another lists times but does not indicate whether the trains are panoramic. From my understanding, nothing can be booked in advanced for this leg due to the construction, which is fine. I am merely trying to get a sense of timing. Also, with no bookings for this, do we just need our Eurrail Select Pass?

If someone can walk me through a timeline and/or the website I should be using for reference, that would be greatly appreciated! Again, apologies for the repetition. There are just so many places to book trains that it can be a little confusing.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3395 posts
expert
Mar 22, 2018 - 10:24 PM in reply to racheldoran

You just need your Eurail Pass and the departures from Zweisimmen at 25 past the hour. Trains showing on SBB timetable as IR. The scenery is the same whichever train you take. Some might argue that the big windows are a bit over-rated and that you cold take any train but you'll the big windows on the IR trains. At other times (when there are no bus detours involved) the panoramic trains are denoted MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque.

Lucas
Lucas
5628 posts
expert &
Mar 23, 2018 - 10:45 AM in reply to racheldoran

Hi Rachel,

The panoramic trains are running but not listed on the timetable as they can't guarantee anything due to construction. You may be able to catch one at Zweisimmen in the end. Just hop on and show your Eurail Pass to train personnel when asked. :)

Happy travels

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018