Golden Pass between Lucerne and Interlaken

• Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    21 May 2019 at 5:29:42 #821750

Hello Thrillseekers,

We will be travelling for 3 weeks and the way our itinerary is layed out we have missed the train route between Interlaken and Lucerne.

Is it worthwhile (I know it’s subjective) to do the 2hr Golden Pass express trip to Lucerne and back ?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2019 at 5:54:50 #912920

Well it’s quite a pleasant scenic train ride. Lots of picturesque villages, green valleys and lakes and the odd waterfall. But whether it’s worth 4 hours of your time, if you have no other reason to go to Interlaken, who can say. You could go one way and come back via Spiez, Thun, Konolfingen and Langnau for a bit of variety especially if you haven’t already visited the Emmenthal region.

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    21 May 2019 at 6:35:21 #912921

Hi rockoyster,

We will be staying in both Interlaken (2n) and Lucerne (3n) and the way our itinerary has panned out, we have missed this leg. Will be coming from Bern, so that covers Spiez, Thun. I guess with our extensive train travel, we will be seeing plenty of “pleasant scenic” train rides along the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 10:58:28 #912922

Hello Arctic Wolf,

I agree with you that at the end of the day most journeys by train in Switzerland are scenic up to a certain (and again individual) degree. I personally like the area covered on the journey Lucerne – Interlaken by train.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Are you heading directly from Lucerne to Interlaken?!
    Depending on which ticket option you have chosen you might still be able to change the route if wanted. However this depends on your ticket and itinerary, of course.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 0:19:25 #912923

Ignore the phrase ‘GoldenPass’ in this instance

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux.

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brünig Pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. It’s pleasant but not ‘utterly spectacular’ as it passes through a lower altitude part of the Alps. Lots of nice fields, trees, lakes etc

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    22 May 2019 at 3:06:51 #912924

Hi Steph,

We will miss that leg according to our itinerary. All hotels are booked and have passes, so can’t change our itinerary. That’s why I asked the question whether that leg is worth the 4 hr round trip.

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    22 May 2019 at 3:12:00 #912925

Hi 1960man,

Thanks.

I know about the true Golden Pass route as we will be taking that from Interlaken to Montreux. I suppose if we have time on our side or the weather is not favourable around the Bernese Alps area we will probably take the journey.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass between Lucerne and Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.