Golden Pass from Interlaken to Geneva

• Chowens
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 April 2018 at 14:57:07 #815365

Hi!

I am traveling from Interlaken to Paris on June 1. I need to fly from either Basel or Geneva to get back to Paris. I know via Basel is more direct, but I thought it would be more fun to take the Golden Pass panoramic train from Interlaken to Montreux and then on to Geneva.

1. Do I need a seat reservation for the Golden Pass train?

2. Do I need to change trains, or do I stay on the same train from Interlaken to Montreux?

3. I’ve been looking at this train schedule. Could you tell me if I should look at a difference one to find the times/platforms I should be on?http://www.goldenpass.ch/asse ts/media/cms/images/gl obal/Horaire/BD_Horair esGoldenPass_2016.pdf

Thank you!! Cathy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 17:34:44 #882452

I just did this trip (in the opposite direction) last week so I can provide my two cents but others may have more expert information.

June 1st is actually the last day of scheduled construction on a small segment of the rails between Chatueau d’Oex and Montbovon, where the train is being replaced by a bus for about a 10 minute segment.

1. You do not need a seat reservation for the GoldenPass; it is usually possible to get one if you would like, but because of the construction, no reservations are permitted between Montreux and Zweisimmen. (You do need a valid ticket (either a point-t0-point ticket, a 1-day travel pass, or a multiway pass)). If you would like to travel in a Panoramic coach (see below for how to find this on the schedule) and want to sit in the VIP seats at the very very front of the train, you will need a first class ticket (or upgrade if on a multi-day pass); normally CHF 15 reservations are also required for these seats, but because of the construction, no reservations are possible and these seats are first-come-first-served. Note that due to the construction, the Panoramic coach will likely only be available on half to the usual route (either Montreux to Chateau d’Oex or Montbovon to Zweisimmen)

2. You will need to change trains in Zweisimmen, Montreux, and possibly in Spiez (though it’s possible to select trains that avoid this change). As above, you will also need to change to a bus on Montbovon and back to a train in Chateau d’Oex.

3. The latest schedule appears to be http://www.goldenpass.ch/asse ts/media/cms/images/gl obal/Horaire/BD_MOB_br och_horaires_2017-2018.pdf . Look at page 3 and if you want to be on a Panoramic coach, make sure you pick a routing that has the Zweisimmen to Montreux segment in tan/light brown color. You can also use SBB timetable to look up your routing. Put Interlaken and Geneve as your start and destination, and add Montbovon as a “Via” point to ensure routing on the GoldenPass

Chowens
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 April 2018 at 20:56:57 #882453

Thanks for this great information! I’m just wondering–is it confusing changing trains/busses so many different times? Is there a chance of making a mistake and missing your stop? I am more concerned about not making it back to Paris! Are the views worth all that trouble? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 0:20:49 #882454

The train->bus->train changes due to construction are completely painless, and there’s even signs on the train that say “connections guaranteed” — see my post here for more info: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/golden-pass-line-during-construction

As for the other changes (Spiez, Zweisimmen, Montreux), they’re all also relatively straightforward. The one thing to note is that many stations don’t have elevators/lifts, but most have ramps if stairs are a problem for people in your group. In most stations, at the end of the platform (terminal stations) or in the passageway below the platforms (where the stairs/ramps lead). there are many digital displays showing the next few trains and what track they’re on. From what I remember, all three of these stations are relatively small (only a couple platforms each), so the changes were quite quick. The MOB schedule I linked to in the prior post shows the minimum connection times next to the city name where you’ll make connections (the little numbers inside a box).

That said, my GoldenPass journey from Montreux to Zweisimmen was delayed (I assume the bus transfers were built into the schedule but we had some long stops at ‘optional stop’ stations), so we missed the direct train we had planned for from Zweisimmen to Interlaken and had to take the next train via Spiez. Since you have a flight to make, I would make sure you’re planning to get to Geneve Airport with sufficient extra time that you’ll still be okay if you miss one train and have to take the next. There are trains from Zweisimmen to Montreaux roughly every hour (not all Panoramic) and two trains an hour from Montreux to Geneve, so maybe leaving 1.5-2 hours of wiggle room in your schedule would be wise, in addition to however early you would otherwise arrive at the airport, though others who are actually from Switzerland may be able to advise better. I haven’t flown to/from Geneve airport, so I’m not sure how difficult/easy the train to terminal connection is, so hopefully others can comment there.

I do think the ride is worth it, but I would definitely leave enough flexibility in the event you miss your planned train somewhere. Also, install the SBB app and you can always keep an eye on what your options are for next trains if needed (though you’ll need cellular data, or the free wifi at stations)

• The thread ‘Golden Pass from Interlaken to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.