Golden Pass Lucerne to Montreux, to Zurich – 1 day

• beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    23 January 2017 at 13:19:49 #810649

if we arrive at Lucerne around 11 am from Zurich and get a golden pass train from there and wanna come back by night back to Lucerne is it possible?

From where and when golden pass train departs from Lucerne? will the same train have a round trip so we just keep sitting there. how long will the journey be both ways total? will we be able to get back at night at base? will there be any train change.
    If there is from where will it be easy to catch an interchange ?? we will not stop anywhere just wanna sit in train . cant understand the timetable of train .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2017 at 18:23:15 #858385

Hi Beenaeem and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you can get to Luzern (local German spelling) before 11am and with enough time to catch the 11:05am train you will be in Montreux by 16:13 and have time to return to Zurich; however it would be by regional train at that point.

You will have 2 changes on the trip in the morning, Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost. On the timetable (bottom of the page I linked) be sure to add Meiringen and Zweisimmen as a via station (after your initial search for Luzern to Montreux) and be sure to check the schedule for the panorama symbol to ensure you select the correct train.

On the return there are lots of options to get back to Zurich, with 1 change or 2 usually.

I hope that explains things ok! I know the Swiss train schedule can be daunting. Let me know if you have further questions.

Our page on the Golden Pass is worth a read as well – links can be found there on where to purchase tickets and the timetable.

I’ll note that I did this trip from Zurich last year but skipped Luzern and Interlaken and caught the train at Zweisimmen…that could be an option too.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Golden Pass Lucerne to Montreux, to Zurich – 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.