Golden pass from Luzern to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2012 at 0:59:15 #805081

Hi,

I will be travelling from Luzern to Interlaken on 8 april 2012 and was thinking of taking the panaromic golden pass line. Both me and my travelling partner have a swiss saver pass and understand the journey is free but have a few questions:

(a) Is seat reservation absolutely neccesary?
    (b) If it is necessary, how long beforehand do i have to do the reservation in order to get good seats? I was wondering if I could do it in zurich train station when I arrive on 6 April.

(c) where do i do the reservation and how much does it cost for 2 pax both with swiss pass?

Thanks a lot!

Alison

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2012 at 14:06:25 #835429

Alison
    No reservations are necessary or possible on all trains in 1st or 2nd class. The 1st class Panoramic cars on certain trains require reservations. It is my understanding that these will be discontinued sometime in 2012
    Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 7:14:45 #835430

Hi Dick,
    Thanks for your response! My swiss pass is a second class saver pass – so I presume I will not be able to make reservations at all. So I just go down on my day of travel and get the tickets without paying any extra reservation fees??

I heard the best seats are the first two seats – so it is purely a first come first serve thing?

Alison

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 14:49:51 #835431

Alison
    Any seat is ok but sit on the right hand side facing the engine for the best view. Do not change seats in Meiringen where the train reverses.

Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2012 at 16:11:32 #835432

Alison, this is a comment rather than an answer. I wasn’t aware that there is panoramic train that goes between Luzern and Interlaken. We will be in Luzern in August and would love to go by that train as we plan to go to Interlaken after Luzern. Do you know whether the train leaves from the main Luzern station? Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2012 at 18:08:25 #835433

Hi aussie – a train leaves Lucerne every hour for Interlaken Ost at 5 mins to the hour. The journey takes exactly 2 hours. It is an inter-regio train so no need for reservations (inter – regio trains are as good as special panoramics in my view) and is free with Swiss pass. It leaves from platform 12 of main Lucerne station. It is a beautiful route. Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2012 at 1:44:06 #835434

[quote]maggiehorswell said: Hi aussie – a train leaves Lucerne every hour for Interlaken Ost at 5 mins to the hour. The journey takes exactly 2 hours. It is an inter-regio train so no need for reservations (inter – regio trains are as good as special panoramics in my view) and is free with Swiss pass. It leaves from platform 12 of main Lucerne station. It is a beautiful route. Maggie[/quote]

Thanks Maggie. That was a great help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2012 at 11:02:02 #835435

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland on end Apr 2012. Am very interested in the Golden Pass route. I am planning to buy the 4 day Swiss pass second class. I would like to take the route from Zweisimmen to Montreux.

1) what are the different types of train that comes free with the Swiss pass 2nd class ? Can I take the Golden pass classic train without paying extra?

thanks in advance for your advice.

Annika
    7103 posts
    31 March 2012 at 5:14:17 #835436

Hi yandao69. 2nd class coaches in all trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux will be for free with a 2nd class Swiss Pass. Regional trains and panoramic Golden Pass trains run on this route. The only difference is that an additional seat reservation fee is required for the Golden Pass trains. You can read about it, and arrange for your reservations,at this page. The general timetable will show all possible connections. The Golden Pass timetable may be of help as well.

See here for a complete overview of the Golden Pass route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2012 at 11:13:37 #835437

Dear Arno,

Many thanks for your reply.

1) Can I check if it is really necessary to reserve the seats for the Panoramic and Classic golden pass trains ?
    2) I will be bringing my 5 year old child along, (travelling with family) so does she requires a seat reservation too ?
    3) Beside the reservation charge that we have to pay, does our Swiss Pass cover the ticket charge for both Panoramic and Classic 2nd class golden pass train ?
    4) Are the routes for 2nd class coaches train the same with the goldenpass trains ?

[quote]Annika said: Hi yandao69. 2nd class coaches in all trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux will be for free with a 2nd class Swiss Pass. Regional trains and panoramic Golden Pass trains run on this route. The only difference is that an additional seat reservation fee is required for the Golden Pass trains. You can read about it, and arrange for your reservations, at this page. The general timetable will show all possible connections. The Golden Pass timetable may be of help as well.[/quote]

Annika
    7103 posts
    2 April 2012 at 11:49:39 #835438

Hi yandao69. Please see Dick’s answer above for your question on seat reservation. This FAQ will also help you to find out whether or not you need a reservation. Info for children can be found here. The seat reservation page can be of help too. The trip itself in all types of trains will be for free with your Swiss Pass. The routes for the panoramic, classic and regional regular trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux are the same.

• The thread ‘Golden pass from Luzern to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.