Which train on Golden Pass from Montreux to Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 13:55:05 #811488

After staying one night in Montreux and will be heading to luzern for rest of my trip.

I have read about golden pass trains so wish to take one from montreux only to enjoy scenice ride.

Please help me choose the trains from Montreux to Interlaken Ost.

I have visited SBB website and found below two options to Interlaken ost via zweisimmen.

Option 1

7.44am:Montreux ->Zweisimmen (MOB Panoramic train)

9.38am: Zweisimmen ->Spiez ( RE Train assuming it stands for Regional train)

10.33am: spiez->Interlaken Ost ( IC TRAIN assuming stands for inter city)

Option 2

9.44 am-Montreux->Zweisimmen (MOB Panoramic)

11.32am-zweisimeen-> interlaken ost ( Golden pass Panoramic)

If i go via option one i travel via panoramic just once & option 2 involves both panoramic train. If i take regional train n intercity train will i miss on the scenic part or should i opt for option 2.

Please help me choose the train to avoid missing on any scenic beauty on way

Please help me select the trains.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 14:43:13 #861916

Hi SNehap,

The trains follow the same route – it is just a matter of whether you are in a ‘regular’ train (IC or RE) or a panoramic train.

Reservations are recommended on the panoramic train (especially between Montreux and Zweisimmen) but not needed. You can make reservations here if you choose.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 18:44:34 #861917

I want the panoromic train. Which train should i take 7.44am or 9.44am please let me know.

I want to explore scenic route via panoromic train so please suggest which is the train i should opt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 8:45:36 #861918

>> I want the panoromic train. Which train should i take 7.44am or 9.44am please let me know.

I want to explore scenic route via panoromic train so please suggest which is the train i should opt.

They are both panoramic trains and travel an identical route. There will be absolutely no difference in the scenery, or your ability to see it, from either train.

The panoramic coaches for both services are only on the sector between Montreux and Zweisimmen. They are designated in the timetable by a triangle symbol (see attached screenshot).

For the sector between Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost, “normal” carriages are used on both services. You can see in the timetable screenshot that neither of them have the symbol indicating panoramic windows. But the windows are still big enough to give you a good view.

The main differences between the 7:44 and 9:44 services are:

– The 9:44 service from Montreux provides a direct service between Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost, and has a minibar service on the sector between Montreux and Zweisimmen.

– The 7:44 service from Montreux has no minibar service, and requires passengers to change trains in Spiez.

I hope this clarifies things for you 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 20:45:32 #861919

Thank you so much . You cleared all my doubts so happy.detailed explanation.

I will be taking a train from Geneva airport to montreux . I have read abt airport free train ride to Geneva city.

Can I buy free ticket from machine and then go to ticket office and ask them to give me ticket from Geneva cornavin station to montreux which cost 31chf or will they give full fare ticket from airport to montreux 36 chf

can I travel from airport to montreux directly without changing trains at cornavin with free ticket plus additional ticket cornavin to montreux

OR

Di I need to go to cornavin den change the train to montreux.

please help guys

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 7:57:29 #861920

Hi Snehap,

There are many trains going to Montreux from Geneva airport – some are direct. You can check for schedules here. So you can buy a ticket at the airport (office or ticket machine) to Montreux without issue.

Have you looked at Swiss rail passes as well? They may be a good option for your trip – especially the Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 April 2017 at 12:28:30 #861921

Do you mean the Unireso ticket? That’s indeed free for traveling within Geneva, so it works from the airport to the main station (Cornavin). You can buy a ticket from Cornavin (simply called “Geneva”) to Montreux either online or at the airport. This approach works for direct and non-direct trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 12:10:08 #861922

I plan to buy ticket from cornavin to montreux at the geneva airport as i will be having free ticket to travel upto cornavin. My query is can i purchase cornavin to montreux ticket costing 31chf at the airport ticket counter or will they issue airport to montreux ticket even if i show them the free ride ticket to cornavin. I know i can buy ticket at the machine but incase i have to go to counter to buy ticket.

So i will have two tickets one free pass upto cornavin and other cornavin to montreux ticket. If i take direct train geneva airport to montreux,should i show the TC both the tickets? Hope i wont be fined for getting into direct train without changing at cornavin.

Guys please help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 12:35:46 #861923

When traveling from Geneva airport you’re train will travel through Geneva-Cornivan (Cornivan is the downtown Geneva train station).

So, yes you can buy a ticket from Geneva-Cornavin to Montreux at the airport (at the machine or the ticket office) or online, and use both tickets for your trip. You can show the TC both tickets or just the one that is relevant for where the train is when they check your ticket. 🙂

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which train on Golden Pass from Montreux to Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.