Golden Pass & Glacier Express reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 17:06:11 #816581

Hello,

Our travel plan is for 14 days from Mid of July and our plan for each day is pretty fixed. We can be flexible a bit, I guess! We have the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days. Should I reserve seats for the leg Montreux-Zweisimmen in golden pass and Brig to Zermatt in Glacier Express? Or can we just hop in a train with the pass?

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 18:59:45 #888048

Hi Gayathri S,

If you want to be on a specific train that day then I would make reservations on the Golden Pass route yes. Reservations are mandatory for the Glacier Express trains.

Glacier Express reservations
    Golden Pass reservations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 13:39:51 #888049

Hi Lucas,

Our plan for that day is Montreux to Interlaken and I see that we have to switch in Zwiesimmen. So we would have to start from Montreux – Zwiesimmen and then Zwiesimmen-Interlaken. This is what I understand. So am not sure If I have to pick a specific train on the golden pass line and reserve seats ?

Thanks,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 5:22:09 #888050

Yes, you change trains in Zweisimmen and sometimes Spiez. You can check the train schedules with the Swiss railways timetable. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Reservations on those sections of the Golden Pass are optional, but we recommend reserving seats on the panoramic trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen in the summer season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 13:36:10 #888051

We tried to book the glacier express on June 4 to leave on June 7 from Brig and were told that some trains were full but could still get 2 window seats together on early morning train. We did and only about 2/3 full on early train. Advice is to book early as tourist season increases or risk slim choices/disappointment

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 14:18:01 #888052

Hi Tfisch,

Thanks so much for the advice. I’m going to lock my reservations tonight!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 14:19:24 #888053

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me how many days in advance from the date of travel, should I reserve seats on panoramic trains?

Gayathri

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 14:35:31 #888054

Typically you can reserve either 60 or 90 days before travel. Tfisch is correct. I’d reserve as soon as you have confirmed the dates and you know you will travel that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 23:51:00 #888055

There is no need to use the Glacier Express from Brig to Zermatt. Most Zermatt line trains are now operated by the latest Electric multiple unit trains. They have big windows (with some in ‘Panoramic’ style anyway, and you can get on any regional train you like, it is no slower because the line is mainly single track. They run every 30 minutes.

I recommend using regional trains on the MOB (the real name for the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway). Again, this gives you the flexibility to get on a train at whichever time suits you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 5:59:24 #888056

Hi Lucas & 1960man,

Thank you both for your reply. You guys have been so helpful in our trip planning process.

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass & Glacier Express reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.