Golden Pass line Lucerne to Interlaken (Spiez)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 18:32:47 #817305

Hello,

I have a quick question on travel from Lucerne to Spiez. We are travelling from Lucerne to Spiez(Interlaken OST) on Sept 8th 2018.

We are planning to take the Luzern-Interlaken Express which is supposed to be panoramic route. I have couple of quick questions

1) We are travelling using Swiss Travel Pass – Do we need to make reservations for this leg of the journey even with Travel pass? I see this leg is covered for free when using Swiss Travel Pass.

If we have to make reservations I believe this comes at some charge?

2) Are there Train cars which are reserved for Swiss Pass holders? (From looking around there might not be but wanted to confirm)

Thanks,

Harikishan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 22:34:27 #891611

Luzern – Interlaken is an ordinary railway, the new design trains introduced a few years ago have some normal windows and some big (‘panoramic’) windows, but the view is just as good out of either. No need to reserve seats – the train runs every hour throughout the day.

I don’t understand your reference to Spiez. Spiez comes after Interlaken Ost if travelling from Luzern, What is your final destination on that day?

It is not the Golden Pass as such, but the Brünig Pass. I have developed a standard response about this route which I have used in other threads and I repeat here for you:

First of all, ignore the phrase GoldenPass in this instance.

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brunig Pass (the true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux).

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 0:43:06 #891612

@1960man,

Thank you for your response. It might be out my lack knowledge on route, I might have used Golden Pass incorrectly.

I was purely going based on the below link

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

“The train route consists of three sections: Lucerne to Interlaken Ost…” This made me think this is part of Golden Pass.

Is this a valid site or some promotion which I should not be paying attention too?http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

The link above lets me make *some* kind of reservation at a price though.

In any case my final destination of that day is Spiez. I assumed that I have to change trains in Interlaken OST?Please correct me if that is incorrect.

Also, the thread which you have repeated for me helps. Thanks again.

~Harikishan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 7:03:48 #891613

Hi Kishan,

The Lucerne – Interlaken Express is part of the Golden Pass line. https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere

Originally, the line ran from Montreux to Zweisimmen but the route is branded for tourism purposes to continue on to Interlaken and Lucerne and changes of trains are required. You’ll note the trains from Zweisimmen to Interlaken are simple, regional trains. As 1960man notes, the trains from Interlaken to Lucerne have been upgraded in recent years and are similar to panoramic trains.

Reservations are possible on all 3 sections of the route but are not mandatory. We recommend people make reservations on the Montreux-Zweisimmen trains as they are the true panoramic trains and get quite busy in the summer season. In September, on your routing, reservations can be skipped safely I think.

Yes, you’ll change trains in Lucerne. To find out your route schedule, and any changes of train that may be required, use the Swiss railways timetable here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Search Lucerne to Spiez via Interlaken Ost on the date and preferred time of travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 22:27:17 #891614

Yes, Interlaken Ost to Spiez is a ‘full size’ main line railway so you have to change trains at Interlaken Ost. Come back in a few years’ time and you won’t have to as they are building variable gauge carriages so they can run through all the way from Montreux to Luzern

• The thread ‘Golden Pass line Lucerne to Interlaken (Spiez)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.