Reservations and luggage on the Golden Pass route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 1:45:53 #815310

Hi,

We’ll be doing the Golden Pass line route from Lucerne to Montreaux with our 5 year old in mid-late September this year overnighting in Zweisimmen along the way. We are planning on getting a swiss travel pass but still debating on whether we splurge for first class or just go second class. My understanding is that second class is more than satisfactory but I’ve also heard that in first class you are pretty much always guaranteed a seat because most everyone is travelling in second class. I know that our 5 year old will be able to travel free with us but it is my understanding that he is meant to sit on our laps unless we specifically book him a seat reservation.

I have several questions.

1. So, if we were to get first class tickets do we really need to make seat reservations on the different legs of the Golden Pass route for that time of year. ie. Lucerne to Interlaken, Interlaken to Zweisimmen and Zweisimmen to Montreaux? Do we need them if we get second class tickets? For which parts?

2. Re booking luggage through, is it possible to book luggage through to Montreaux and pick it up the following day and just carry a backpack with enough to get us through for the overnight stay in Zweisimmen. We’ll be actually starting the journey in Zurich. Can we book it through from Zurich or do we hold onto it and book it through in Lucerne?

3. On the Zweisimmen to Montreaux leg can you get on and off the train at any points along this leg and have a look around or will this involve further seat reservations?

Essentially, I’m wondering if I have to pay extra for seat reservations all of the time whether we are in first or second class then are we just better off booking a second class pass because it will end up costing the extra anyhow. Are there any benefits to first over second in regards to other modes of transport such as boat trips etc?

Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 April 2018 at 1:58:52 #882188

Hello Excited and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You said “I know that our 5 year old will be able to travel free with us but it is my understanding that he is meant to sit on our laps unless we specifically book him a seat reservation.

I doubt reservations would be necessary anywhere on late September unless you plan to travel at peak times. No one is going to turf a 5-year old out of a seat I would think.

I’d suggest you get a 2nd Class Pass. You can always buy a Class Upgrade for any particular trip. It costs half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

To answer your specific questions:

1. The only leg you would need to consider is Zweisimmen to Montreux and even that is unlikely in late September.

2. Yes. You can send your luggage from Zurich if that suits you better.https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ luggage

3. If you want to get on and off then AND you want to reserve seats then you will need a separate reservation for each segment. Reservations apply to a specific train departure time.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass.

Paddle steamer boat trips on Lake Lucerne only allow access to the upper deck and dining room for 1st Class passengers. Not a reason to buy 1st Class passes in my opinion.

• The thread ‘Reservations and luggage on the Golden Pass route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.