Golden Pass reservations with Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 16:50:28 #815858

I have a 1st class STP. When I use the Golden Pass reservations site, they are charging 10 CHF per person for reservation from Luzern to Interlaken Ost. Do I need to pay this? I thought if I have STP the trip is free. Is there a chance all the seats in first class will be full if I don’t reserve? Just traveling with a group of 4 and 2 are 75 years old + so I am trying to get make everything as smooth as possible. Thanks Aimee

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:55:22 #884742

Hello Bayssgal and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Reservations are not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass as they are quite rare in Switzerland. The Luzern – Interlaken Express is really just a regular commuter train even though it forms part of the Golden Pass Line. It is unlikely you would need reservations in first class unless you are travelling in the middle of peak tourist season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 21:21:35 #884743

Actually no need to do reservations for this. We did this couple of days back and it was completely empty. Such a scenic route to see.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 14:57:15 #884744

very helpful! Thanks. Another question – We have STP and are staying in Jungfrau (Grindelwald) for 3 nights. Do we need to the JTP also?

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 May 2018 at 15:50:22 #884745

Hi Preethy and Aimee! Great that you got to enjoy the Golden Pass route in such peace and quiet, Preethy. You were traveling in low season, and in that case seat reservations for the Golden Pass indeed aren’t necessary. As for Aimee: if you’re visiting Switzerland in the busier months of June-September, reservations are recommended for the leg Montreux-Zweisimmen:http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages. But if you only plan on doing the leg Lucerne-Interlaken in 1st class, you should be fine.

Aimee, I wouldn’t buy an additional Jungfrau Travel Pass if I were you (I assume that’s what you mean with JTP?), unless you intend to use local mountain transportation very intensively. The additional purchase costs probably won’t make up for the extra benefits. Having two passes is only economical in rare cases. The Swiss Travel Pass covers quite a lot: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity. Train, but and boat rides are for free and mountain routes are discounted. Some, such as Schilthorn, are even entirely for free.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass reservations with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.