Golden Pass reservations with Swiss Travel Pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Bayssgal
Bayssgal
3 posts
May 9, 2018 - 4:50 PM

I have a 1st class STP. When I use the Golden Pass reservations site, they are charging 10 CHF per person for reservation from Luzern to Interlaken Ost. Do I need to pay this? I thought if I have STP the trip is free. Is there a chance all the seats in first class will be full if I don't reserve? Just traveling with a group of 4 and 2 are 75 years old + so I am trying to get make everything as smooth as possible. Thanks Aimee

rockoyster
rockoyster
4069 posts
expert
May 9, 2018 - 8:55 PM in reply to Bayssgal

Hello Bayssgal and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Reservations are not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass as they are quite rare in Switzerland. The Luzern - Interlaken Express is really just a regular commuter train even though it forms part of the Golden Pass Line. It is unlikely you would need reservations in first class unless you are travelling in the middle of peak tourist season.

Preethy
Preethy
35 posts
May 9, 2018 - 9:21 PM

Actually no need to do reservations for this. We did this couple of days back and it was completely empty. Such a scenic route to see.

Bayssgal
Bayssgal
3 posts
May 10, 2018 - 2:57 PM in reply to Bayssgal

very helpful! Thanks. Another question - We have STP and are staying in Jungfrau (Grindelwald) for 3 nights. Do we need to the JTP also?

Annika
Annika
4993 posts
expert &
May 10, 2018 - 3:50 PM in reply to Preethy

Hi Preethy and Aimee! Great that you got to enjoy the Golden Pass route in such peace and quiet, Preethy. You were traveling in low season, and in that case seat reservations for the Golden Pass indeed aren't necessary. As for Aimee: if you're visiting Switzerland in the busier months of June-September, reservations are recommended for the leg Montreux-Zweisimmen:www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages. But if you only plan on doing the leg Lucerne-Interlaken in 1st class, you should be fine.

Aimee, I wouldn't buy an additional Jungfrau Travel Pass if I were you (I assume that's what you mean with JTP?), unless you intend to use local mountain transportation very intensively. The additional purchase costs probably won't make up for the extra benefits. Having two passes is only economical in rare cases. The Swiss Travel Pass covers quite a lot: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity. Train, but and boat rides are for free and mountain routes are discounted. Some, such as Schilthorn, are even entirely for free.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018