Golden Pass hopping on & off?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 9:58:02 #874662

Dear Lucas

Thank you very much. Do not know at all how the weather works in the Northern Hemisphere… 8 seems very cold for Australians in the warmer part of our country, but guess we just have to dress for it. I don’t think we will be going to many mountains as we are older and don’t snow ski anyway. Snowy Mountains, where snow ski-ing happens in Australia, is 1361 km from where we live, has snow in winter, if lucky, so unless you go there every year not a lot of snow ski-ing in Australia. Now water ski-ing there is plenty of that.

Fingers crossed the weather will be good for us on our 9 weeks adventures.

Again thank you for your predicted weather forecast – even the weather bureau cannot get t right can they, so your information is most useful to me.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:10:15 #874663

We were in Switzerland late May, early June last year. Average daily max was 28C for our stay. Although that did include 5 nights in Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:15:53 #874664

Hahah don’t hold me to my predictions! 🙂

I’d say be prepared for low of 10/12 and high of 23/25 is pretty normal in mid May. Espeically in the northern areas like Zurich/Lucerne. Quite nice for this Canadian. 🙂

Southern Switzerland will be warmer on average. Especially once you cross the mountains and are in Ticino (Lugano) like Rockoyster was.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:17:55 #874665

She’s in Geneva 15 June.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:23:34 #874666

Thanks Rockoyster. I am not so worried about Switzerland, as that part will be, June but Moscow, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Prague, Vienna, Ljubljana, Lake Bled may be quite cold. Last time we did the 105 days they had heatwaves in Copenhagen, Innsbruck, (unheard of they said), Paris, London and New York – hot even for Aussies. Innsbruck never even had fans, as don’t expect such heat. Just as long as it doesn’t rain I will be happy.

What was Lugano like? We are going there this time.

Once again, many thanks Rockoyster.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:24:58 #874667

Ah this thread was someone else’s originally! They were traveling in late April – May.

Oh Geneva and southern Switzerland should be quite enjoyable in mid-June!

I find it quite nice and warm once it hits about 18 though. Anything over 30 is too hot for me unless I’m just lying on a beach 😉 I’d like to go to Australia one day but I don’t know how to cope over 35….

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:30:50 #874668

Lugano? Loved it. My trip report here . . http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-5

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:31:44 #874669

Thread hi-jacking is on the increase I’ve noticed. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:41:47 #874670

Dear Lucas

I had replied to you so don’t know what is happening…

Thank you for that information. Greatly appreciated. 18 is cool for me. Australia only has 35 in the summer – the weather you are seeing at the Tennis Australian Open at the moment is unusual – just in summer you get these temperature – in our winter you would find it quite pleasant. Plenty of nice beaches though, as long as you “bathe between the flags” here. We have voluntary life savers on the main beaches, as there are rips and in some parts sharks. Nobody has ever died in Australia if they swim between the flags where there are life savers watching. People you hear about being in trouble don’t obey the rules.

Trouble with Australia sight seeing is the long distances. Settlements are mainly on the coastal parts. Of course the Great Barrier Reef area is lovely. Where I live is close to the Sunshine and Gold Coast – great for surfing and swimming. Going there from Brisbane, where I live, is like being on a holiday all year long. All down New South Wales (NSW) a state, is nice for swimming and beach activities. Of course everyone knows Sydney. Melbourne in Victoria is the place to see sport. I love Melbourne. Tasmania the island at the bottom is more like UK and Europe – much milder weather. People like to go to the centre to Ayers Rock. I never wanted to go because I thought, “It is just a rock” but loved it when I was there. Best way to see Auz is to have a lot of time and to drive around it. I love Western Australia, but it is hard to see it all if just having normal holidays. We have 4 weeks a year here, but not sure many countries do have that long. If you are young you could buy a caravan and travel around in that. Many young ones work their way around the country working in hotels. It is just so diversified and depends on what you are looking for.

Carolyn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:43:11 #874671

Thank you I will look into that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:43:44 #874672

What does thread hijacking mean?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 13:14:11 #874673

Hi Carolyn,

This was Tamival’s original thread and her questions about the Golden Pass. You came in to comment and ask questions about a week after her. This is totally fine of course but then the whole thread got off topic with luggage and weather which we try to avoid.

At that point we always prefer people to start their own thread when they have questions etc. Not to worry!

Northern Europe in April and May will be much colder than Switzerland so don’t worry about the weather here (again unless you go up into the mountains). 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 19:50:42 #874674

Sorry I have not obeyed the rules… Can you tell me how I create a new topic as I would like to start one on my plans for Moscow – it took me months and I would like to share my plans… sorry to go off topic again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 20:18:22 #874675

I’d love to pick your brain about Moscow. I’ve been there twice now and am eager to go back! But our website is solely for Swiss related travel topics. 🙁

If you want to start a new thread about a Swiss related topic simply pick the forum you want here and then click on post a new thread.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 21:10:55 #874676

Again I answered your Moscow item, but cannot see my post. I posted a new Forum I thought but cannot find it – something like “Moscow in 3 days without Tours”.. Maybe you could ask a question on a new forum and I can put my plans up in answer to your new question…

I can email you my plans but not sure that is allowed.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 21:17:14 #874677

Hi Carolyn,

How about you put your Moscow plans on somewhere like TripAdvisor and tell us where they are. eg https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g294459-i705-Russia.html

As Lucas said, MySwissAlps is purely focussed on Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 3:27:20 #874678

I found what I posted this morning and this is what has happened to it:

What to do in Moscow in 3 days without an organised tour

29 Jan. 2018, 7:57 am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: today, 09:35

I don’t know what I did wrong. The only commercial thing I mentioned was where I was staying as it is so central to doing things. I have often found places to stay by reading Trip Advisor so do not know what I did wrong??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 3:36:29 #874679

What to do in Moscow in 3 days without an organised tour – posted this morning by me

29 Jan. 2018, 7:57 am

The below message now comes up:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: today, 09:35

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 3:49:32 #874680

Hi Carolyn,

I have no idea why TripAdvisor removed your post. The only thing I can think of is that TripAdvisor mostly serves two purposes:

• Reviewing places, hotels, activities, restaurants etc after you have been there
    • Asking and answering questions to assist with trip planning

If your content was a plan rather than a review based on experience, and you weren’t asking for any specific assistance with planning, perhaps that’s why they removed it.

That is simply guesswork on my part.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 3:53:22 #874681

Thank you. Guess I will have to post when I get back. If there is some way I can sent this to any of you – happy to do so.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The thread ‘Golden Pass hopping on & off?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.