Golden Pass Reservation needed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 3:11:47 #812039

I will be visiting switzerland during 15-20 june with my wife. We will be travelling in Golden Pass line from Lucerne to Interlaken and on many other routes. We are thinking to buy Swiss Travel Pass from SBB website. After we get the Swiss Travel Pass (printable at home), will I be able to reserve tickets for Golden Pass line trains online without paying ticket fare (but just reservation fee)? With the reservation will I get confirmed seats in the train?

Is it necessary to reserve tickets for golden pass line in June month or we would always probably get vacant seats?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 9:55:55 #864189

Yes, you can make reservations only for the Golden Pass but it isn’t necessary (and I would only reserve between the towns of Zweisimmen and Montreux). The other sections don’t need reservations at all.

You can make reservations for the Golden pass train here (link at the bottom of the page).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 10:22:34 #864190

Hi Lucas, thanks for your reply.

I will be travelling from Lucerne to Interlaken West on 15th june on train #2922 (11:05 am).

As I can see on mob.ch website, half of the seats are already booked. If I don’t book, then may be all the seats will get booked and I will not be able to travel on this particular train! right?

Well, Its won’t be like if I dont find vacant seats on one train I can wait for next train. My itinerary is not flexible. so I think I must reserve my seats! Let me know if I am wrong.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 13:25:32 #864191

Hi. I have been doing my research as well and have found that the scenic route for the Golden Pass line is mainly from Zweisimmen to Montreux. For the Luzern to Interlaken route, any train is possible and you don’t need to book the panoramic train. This is what i have learned from the forums here. Hope i am right. Hopefully that helps you in your bookings.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:21:37 #864192

Hi arpitjain,

No need to worry about reserving that train on that section (I wouldn’t bother unless I had a large family/group). But If you absolutely must be on the 11:05 train then by all means make the reservations. (one of the few routes you can in Switzerland).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:24:44 #864193

Hi Kamals,

You are correct. The “panoramic” trains are on the Zweisimmen to Montreux route and we advise to reserve those in the summer. The Luzern to Interlaken Express runs hourly and I wouldn’t normally bother with reservation there – although the train has larger panoramic-style windows (all trains on this route do).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Golden Pass Reservation needed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.