Golden Pass route – reservation questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 18:59:50 #814458

Hello all, we are looking to travel from Lucerne all the way to Montreux on the golden pass line. As I understand, I have to book 3 trains separately. I am looking to travel on 8th July 2018. I am a bit confused on the booking process, no site gives me all the 3 trains in a row, looks like I have to make 3 separate booking? This is what I got so far. Does this look ok? Do I have to book reservations and then also buy a ticket separately? Would a rail pass make sense or just buy directly?

10.06 am to 11.55am – Lucern to Interlaken Ost

12.30pm to 1.57pm – Interlaken Ost to Zweissimmen

2.25 to 4.13 pm – zweissimmen to Montreux – panoramic train

Our total time in Switzerland is 4 days. We will traval from Paris to Lucerne on 6th July. On 7th spend a day in Lucerne sightseeing. 8th travel to Montreux, 9th do the chocolate and cheese tour in Montreux. On 10th we will take a train from Montreux to Geneva airport for our flight back. Given this itinerary, what rail pass would you recommend?

Appreciate all the help ! Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 20:04:59 #876959

Hi Sangi119 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Reservations are not needed for the Golden Pass route between Luzern and Interlaken & then to Zweisimmen but you can do so here if you like. I would book at least the panoramic train between Zweisimmen and Montreux. As they are 3 different trains & you must change at each town, you get 3 reservations – no ideal. 🙂

A better connection to catch the 14:25 panoramic train at Zweisimmen is to leave Luzern at 11:06. Use the timetable here to plan out the trip. Enter Luzern to Montreux VIA Zweisimmen. The connection times are shorter but very possible. Saves some standing around at the train station.

To know for sure which rail pass is best for your itinerary you’ll need to plan out all train, bus, cable car trips for your 4 days and do the math – use our spreadsheet on our page to help you: How to choose the best rail pass.

A Swiss Travel Pass is almost always the most convenient option though.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2018 at 20:12:27 #876960

Hello sangi and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Yes the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) is 3 separate trains. The only leg you really need reservations for is the Zweisimmen to Montreux one. Read about reservations here http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure.

Before you can know for sure which pass suits your travel plans you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 21:34:44 #876961

Thank you both. I will look into this further.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2018 at 21:46:02 #876962

I needed to do a speed typing refresher course. 😖

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 February 2018 at 7:48:36 #876963

Appreciated nevertheless! And at least you’re still on a steady pace towards your 2000th post 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 7:52:07 #876964

Try typing on a German Keyboard…so annoying.

I have the keyboard set to English in Windows (so my ‘Z’ key is a ‘Y’ when I type for example) but then my wife switches it back without me noticing for about 5 minutes. haha

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:35:27 #876965

Is there a prize?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:36:58 #876966

Ooooh! That makes it tough.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 February 2018 at 9:32:06 #876967

You’ll be promoted to “expert” eventually. But I believe you require more than 2000 posts for that. 2500 or 3500 or so. Just keep going 🙂

• The thread ‘Golden Pass route – reservation questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.