Golden Pass route – which direction is better?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 5:28:00 #808731

Hi,

I have always seen preference for Golden pass route from Lucerne to Montreux.

I arrive in Geneva at 9:30 am . I am thiniing of spending some time (2-3 hours) in Geneva and then take the golden pass route to reach Lucerne where I have booked my accommodation.

1. Is the route from Montreux to Lucerne also good? I know the route is same; my question is – there seems to be a beautiful view onward in the direction to Montreux. Will I get similar view in return as well?

2. Also, difficult to decide between Golden pass classic or panoramic. Considering that I will have 2 pieces of big luggage, is it better to go in panoramic?

3. Is there an option where I can get delivered the big luggages to Lucerne station from Geneva airport for any nominal fee for people with Swiss pass so that I can spend the time on 7th easily?

Regards

Priya

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 March 2016 at 8:07:16 #849915

Hi Priya,

Sure, Montreux-Lucerne is great too. You’ll enjoy the same views and you’ll be able to look down on Montreux while the train climbs the slopes north of Lake Geneva. I don’t think the Golden Pass Classic or Panoramic trains make a difference in terms of luggage. I’d just pick the train that best fits your schedule. An overview of the SBB luggage services can be found at our luggage page. The Express luggage service may suit you. There’s no discount for Swiss Travel Pass holders (I assume that’s what you mean; note that the Swiss Pass is something different).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 15:21:45 #849916

Hi Annika,

what is the difference between Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Pass. And which one is better for a tourist.

I have taken first class Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days. Am I eligible for free ride on the Golden Pass Line or the Wilhelm Tell Express.

I am feeling quite confused and not able to get the time tables for different routes planned.

Will be obliged if you could explain with one example. Like how to check options from Geneva to Wengen. Similarly how to do Pilatus from Merlischachen.

sorry for sounding like a novice but I am getting confused.

thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 April 2016 at 15:55:05 #849917

Hi Priya,

Don’t worry about your questions, you came to the right place!

A Swiss Pass is not for tourists, please see here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/swisspass

The Golden Pass route and Wilhelm Tell Express routes are free: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity . If you want seat reservations you need to arrange for these separately:

The timetable is explained on the timetable page: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. For Pilatus to Merlischachen you just enter these locations in the from and to boxes and click “Search connection”. Scenic routes like the Golden Pass line and Wilhelm Tell Express are slightly more difficult because the timetable provides the quickest way to get from A to B by default. To make sure you see the options for a specific route or mode of transport you need to use the advanced options, which are also explained on the timetable page. Additionally most of our pages also have links to dedicated timetables for just one route. Click to the Golden Pass and Wilhelm Tell Express pages I just gave you, click to the Route tab and look under “More on other websites”. Also there’s a map and more details about the route on these pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 16:49:15 #849918

Dear Annika,

Thank you very much. This is indeed very helpful. I am now able to check timetables between two stations.

however, still not able to get to the reservation page for both Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Lucerne or the Willhelm Tell .

alao even after giving the intermediate stations, route as described is not appearing.

thanks

Saumya

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2016 at 17:15:00 #849919

Hi Saumya,

Are you sure you want seat reservations? As you can see on the pages Annika referred to, this is not a necessity. It’s an option for some Golden Pass trains, but not required, and not even possible in most trains. For the Wilhelm Tell Express you only need it if you prefer the special tourist package. But you can do the trip with just your pass and without a reservation. If you want the reservations you can arrange for them through the links Annika explained about.

If you can’t find a schedule, please let us know the exact route, date and time so we can have a look at it. Or use the dedicated route timetables Annika mentioned. That way you don’t need the advanced options of the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2016 at 9:36:10 #849920

Dear Arno,

1. 8th June morning – Geneva to Interlaken OST by Golden Pass line and then to Wengen .night at Wengen

2. 9th June morning – Wengen to /Schilthorn in morning and in evening Cruise on lake Brienz or Thun (whichever is nearer).

3. 10th morning – travel from Wengen to Lucerne. Check in in a hotel and then go Arround Lucerne . Do one or two musuems and Mr Rigi.

4.11th morning – Wellheim Tell express to Locarno and back by train from Locarno to Lucerne. We have 1st class Swiss Travel Pass, this we decided as It looks very interesting different kinds of experience and we understand there is no cost to be paid.

5. 12th morning – Mt Titlus and city tour ( if possible would like to accomodate Pilatus on 3-5 days).

6. 13th June – Lucerne to ZURICH . Visit Rhine falls, cruise on Lake zurich ,visit Bahnhofstrasse and back to Lucerne 14th June – Lucerne to ZURICH and fly out yo India at 16::00 hrs. If possible would like to visit ZURICH old town.

thanks to you and Annika , it’s your blogs that helped me make these plans. We prefer starting our day around 8 or 9 , will be obliged if you could help finding schedules with travel modes for the above.

thanks once again

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 April 2016 at 14:12:14 #849921

Hi Saumya12,

Glad we could help! I think your itinerary looks fine. Do note that day 4 will be quite long. If you’ve checked traveling times and are fine with them, that’s no problem though.

Detailed planning for each day can be done using the timetable I mentioned before. Did you use it? And if so, is there anything specific you don’t understand? Apart from that, you can study the “Route” tabs on each of our attraction pages. They explain how to plan your trips and what to enter in the timetable. Examples are Schilthorn, Rigi, Titlis, Rhine Falls, etcetera. All attractions are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2016 at 17:11:21 #849922

Hi Annika,

yes I understand day 4 will be long. However when we are on boat, it should be relaxing and good feeling I suppose.

we are able to reach time table , it looks very simple and user friendly. But some how I am unable to get the desired result. For day 1 I am simply not able to get the golden pass line route meaning Panoramic trains. Plus from where to where it will be Panaromic and where it will be normal not clear.

for day 2 – I have got time table for Wengen – Stechelberg – schilthorn. However I am unable to get time table for schilthorn – Grütschalp – Brienz. We want to come to Brienz as we would like to take boat trip on Lake Brienz after Schilthorn . How much time should each stretch take and how much time we should be at Schilthorn .

thanks in advance

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 April 2016 at 7:12:54 #849923

Hi Saumya12,

As for day 1: you’ll have to use the advanced search option and enter some via stations in order to see options for the Golden Pass route, like “Montreux” and “Zweisimmen”. Otherwise the timetable defaults to other, quicker routes from Geneva to Interlaken. Next, click the plus icon to the left to see details for any particular connection. Panoramic trains are marked as “GOLDENPASS PANORAMIC”. The route is explained in detail at our Golden Pass page.

As for day: how much time to spend up at Schilthorn is entirely up to you. The timetable will give train instead of boat options to Brienz by default. So you’d best look for connections Schilthorn-Grütschalp-Interlaken Ost first, and then for Interlaken Ost-Brienz separately. If you want to see boat connections for this leg, you either need to switch off train and bus options using the advanced search option, or consult the separate Lake Brienz timetable instead. A link is provided under “More on other websites” at our Lake Brienz page.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass route – which direction is better?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.