Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 16:49:39 #815936

I would like to make a trip from Interlaken to Montreux and back to Interlaken for a day trip. I saw this suggestion for this round trip.

If you don’t have the time to do the complete Golden Pass route, just pick the section that is closest to your base town. If you are based in the Bernese Oberland, then consider this round trip:

Take the Golden Pass train to Zweisimmen and Montreux;

Spend some time in Montreux;

Take a train to Brig;

Take a local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Spiez;

Take a train to Interlaken.

I understand I must get a reservation seat for the section 2 and 3 journey. If i start off early morning with the Golden pass to Montreux, spending sometime exploring Montreux, can I take the Golden pass train back to Interlaken or follow the suggestion? But I am not sure how to go about following the suggestion.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 20:32:26 #885061

Hi Simage,

So you don’t need a reservation for any section of the route. But the last section, starting in Montreux an be busy in July/August so it might be a good idea.

You can either take the Golden Pass route back to Interlaken or go via Brig (if you have the time).
    Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips out and see what works best for you.

You can also take faster regional trains back from Montreux if you want to get back earlier in the day (or you stay late in Montreux). The timetable always gives you the fastest option by default (unless you put in via stations).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 1:11:36 #885062

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 7:43:47 #885063

>> Spend some time in Montreux; Take a train to Brig; Take a local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Spiez; Take a train to Interlaken … But I am not sure how to go about following the suggestion.

To plan a trip from Montreux to Interlaken via the Lötschberg mountain route, put the following into the Swiss Timetable:

• From Montreux
    • To Interlaken
    • Via Kandersteg

If you are travelling on a weekday, choose your departure time from Montreux carefully in order to avoid the commuter rush on the Montreux-Brig sector around 5pm.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.