Golden Pass train trip worth the time?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 14:38:20 #814804

Hello All

I am planning to take Golden Pass train from Luzern to Montreux and then return back on shorter route to Luzern on the same day

o is is really worth spending a full day in train while going by Golden Pass ?

• I am taking BEX from Tirano to Chur , with this would you guys recommend Golden Pass which will be better than BEX ?
    • what is the best station to get down and roam around between Luzern to Montreux?

o While we get down in any of the stations in between Luzern to Montreux, do we get other trains/bus to go to next stop or golden pass train which runs only 3 hrs is the only train that runs in this route

o Do we need to reserve seat on Golden Pass with STP? Since we will be traveling during July, I wanted to make sure we get seat

Thanks ALL

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 16:22:04 #878963

Hi Euro2018,

My 2 cents: If you aren’t terribly excited by the Golden Pass already (after reading up on it) and you are definitely doing the Bernina Express then I would skip it. If you like scenic train journeys on panoramic trains then maybe still do it. If anything I’d take a fast/direct train to Zweisimmen and then take the panoramic train to Montreux and skip the earlier sections. If you are coming from Luzern it saves 45minutes or more. Though the Luzern to Interlaken section is nice too and on a somewhat panoramic train (more windows).

Depends on what you mean by “best station”…maybe Gstaad? But it is more of a winter destination I think. What are you wanting to do at this station? See a nice town, have lunch?

No, a lot of trains run that route regularly. You can plan out the trip with a stop somewhere on it with the timetable.

You can make reservations but it isn’t mandatory. Really the only part that I would say is essential to reserve in July is between Zweisimmen and Montreux – you can so here – link is under more information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 18:07:03 #878964

Hi Lucas,

Fastest i see from luzern to zweisimmen is 3 hrs which is pretty much same as this route Luzern – Interlaken, Interlaken – Zweisimmen , am i missing something ?

Yep thats what i meant like a nice town to roam around and eat lunch , is Sannen is one of the stations between Zweisimmen and Montreux, if not, how far it is from Gstaad

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2018 at 18:47:59 #878965

Faster route Luzern to Zweisimmen goes via Bern. Time savings vary depending on connections on GPL. Can be quite small.

If you reserve seats between Zweisimmen and Montreux and then get off somewhere along the way you will need 2 reservations. One before you stop and one after.

Full GPL and faster return to Luzern is a minimum 8 hours travelling with fastest connections. How will your kids cope with that?

Unless your goal is to spend lots of time on trains do BEX but skip GPL. Plenty of things to do around Luzern or go to Schilthorn (free with STP) or elsewhere in Jungfrau Region. Fabulous scenery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 19:03:14 #878966

Yeah, from Luzern the time savings (via Bern) is not dramatic – just a thought. 🙂

Saanen and Gstaad are essentially the same town nowadays, the next stop on the train towards Montreux
    (5 minutes).

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train trip worth the time?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.