Golden Pass train from Interlaken or Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 7:28:50 #810851

Hi

I want to take Golden pass train from Interlaken to Montreaux. Is this the most scenic route or should i start from Lucerne?

Please advice

Thx

Rika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 10:34:20 #859168

Hi Rika,

I would try and start in Luzern if possible, but if its too inconvenient then I wouldn’t worry too much about missing that section. There is a lot to see still after Interlaken.

Read through out Golden Pass page for these route descriptions.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 8:21:30 #859169

i have a completely diff view from Lucas – each to his own i guess.

I loved the Interlaken-Lucerne stretch. First the deep blue lake on the right ( I recall a train official very kindly telling us, ‘Sit on the right – THAT’S where the view is!’ Then after Meiringen, you start climbing, to some great views. Then you descend, and on the left you have a lake again, and beyond that, beautiful villages on a sunkissed green mountainside. Worth missing, yes!

Thing is, we spent 3 weeks in the country, and expected to be completely tired of the visuals after a few days. But that didn’t happen. Our deep desire to keep travelling in the country only kept increasing. We had more energy in the end than in the beginning! Probably that’s because, even though it’s mountains, lakes, trains….. there’s still something different all the time?

Suresh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 9:36:39 #859170

Very good point Suresh!

There is great scenery on all parts of that train. As I said, I would try and do the whole trip too if possible!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 13:17:39 #859171

Rika,

Is your question because, you are based in Interlaken? In which case….GoldenPass isn’t a single train. So you could do this on 2 different days – Interlaken to Montreux on one day; and on another day, say if you are planning to visit Lucerne, you do the Interlaken-Lucerne stretch.

But if you still can’t make it……… same as what Lucas said, that’s ok! You will never be able to see everything, but there will still be plentiful that you will enjoy. (We have a list of what we missed and to-do, next time around :))

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 14:28:27 #859172

HI

I am going from Lucerne to Grindelwald and then to Interlaken. So it will be hard to start journey back from Lucerne.

we are returning from Zermatt to Zurich later , wonder if 1st part of this train can be done from that route ( Zermatt to Intelaken, Golden tr to Lucerne, Lucene to Zurich). Not sure how long this entire leg would take

Your suggestions are very helpful

Thx

RIka

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 17:11:55 #859173

Hi Rika,

You could try that route yes, but it will take 5 to 6 hours with about 4 train changes.

Go to the timetable here and enter to and from destinations (Zurich and Zermatt). On the next page click advanced search and enter Interlaken Ost and Luzern as VIA stations.

As long as the train between Interlaken Ost and Luzern is labeled “Luzern – Interlaken Express” you are good to go.

FYI when traveling from Luzern to Grindelwald you will be taking the Golden Pass Line until Interlaken when you switch trains to Grindelwald.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train from Interlaken or Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.