Golden Pass train from Geneva to Montreux?

• rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    12 March 2017 at 9:12:55 #811043

Hi, Is it possible to do a day trip from Geneva to Montreux by the Golden Pass Train?

Ruth

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 12:12:35 #859977

Hi Ruth,

The Golden Pass train operates from Montreux to Luzern so you would have to take a regular train from Geneva to Montreux. This is an easy day trip if you still want to go.

Lucas

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 March 2017 at 2:34:22 #859978

Thanks Lucas. I’ve read some very nice reports about Golden Pass train and hope to be able to ride on it whilst in Switzerland. I read somewhere that it is possible to incorporate the Golden Pass train with regular train from Geneva to Lucerne. Are you able to advise how that can be done? Thanks.

Ruth

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 9:26:52 #859979

Hi Ruth,

Yes, you can take a train from Geneva to Montreux and then connect to the Golden pass train to Luzern.
    You can find schedules for the trains here.

It would be easiest to get the ticket to Montreux and then a 2nd ticket to Luzern. From Montreux to Luzern you must enter VIA Zweisimmen and Meiringen stations under advanced search to get on the specific Golden Pass panoramic train (listed as MOB BELLE EPOQUE or MOB PANORAMIC as far as Zweisimmen).

Regards,
    Lucas

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 March 2017 at 8:11:01 #859980

Thanks for the helpful information, Lucas. I’ll be purchasing a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. Will this pass cover the ride on the Golden Pass train from Montreal to Lucerne?

Also, I will be travelling from Zurich Airport to Interlake Ost via Lucerne. According to the schedule, the train from Lucerne to Interlake Ost is LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS. Is this a Panoramic train?

Ruth

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 13:43:15 #859981

Hi Ruth,

Have you found a new train route from Canada? That would be a cool trip! FYI, yes your Swiss Travel Pass will work on the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Lucerne. I do recommend you make seat reservations for the Golden Pass route, but they aren’t required.

And yes the Luzern to Interlaken Express is another panoramic train that you will be on – you will be on it again when you travel the entire route from Montreux to Luzern.

Regards,
    Lucas

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 March 2017 at 21:42:42 #859982

Many thanks Lucas for the information.

Ruth

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    17 March 2017 at 1:52:55 #859983

Hi Lucas,

If I were to leave for Interlake from Zurich airport, will I be able to upgrade to a 1st class seat using my 2nd class STP just for the LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS section at the Zurich Airport station and also do seat reservation at the same time? In your opinion, is it necessary to do seat reservation for this section?

Assuming that is possible, will it be more convenient for me to purchase the 2nd class STP and do the upgrade at the same time at Zurich Airport station?

Regards,

Ruth

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 6:03:09 #859984

Hi Ruth!

Yes, you can get an upgrade ticket for that route section at Zurich airport’s SBB office for your Swiss Travel Pass.

No, you don’t need any reservations for the route from Luzern to Interlaken and that way you can hop on any train you wish after arriving in Luzern.

Regards,
    Lucas

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    17 March 2017 at 6:18:01 #859985

Thanks Lucas

Ruth

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train from Geneva to Montreux?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.