Golden Pass to Lucerne vs. Gruyeres

• needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    16 April 2018 at 14:55:33 #815364

Hi There!

So, we currently have a reservation on hold for the Golden Pass Train from Montreux to Lucerne on June 2nd (the day after construction is complete but I am starting to second guess this trip as it appears it is going to take 8 hours. We originally had wanted to do the Chocolate Train but it does not run on Saturdays that time of year.

What I am wondering is the feasibility of going from Montreux to Gruyeres, visiting the cheese factory (and possibly going to the chocolate factory in Broc) and then getting a faster train to Lucerne. Or should we definitely do the Golden Pass Train Route?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 17:45:27 #882446

Not an expert, but I did the GoldenPass recently (actually traveled from Geneve to Lucern across two days, with a day in the Alps in between). The trip from Montreux to Lucerne should take closer to 5.5 hours, not 8. I’m not sure why the SBB site isn’t including the Interlaken-Lucerne Express when you search and is instead routing you from Interlaken to Lucern via Bern, but if you add “via” points of Zweisimmen and Brünig-Hasliberg to your search, you should see a 5 hour, 11 minute option for June 2nd

I thought the views along this route were amazing, especially from the “VIP” seats on the panoramic coach on the first segment of the GoldenPass, but I haven’t done any alternate routes or visited Gruyeres so I can’t compare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 6:02:36 #882447

Hi needforsneed,

It is feasible to go from Montreux to Gruyeres and visit both the cheese and chocolate factory. A scenic train route or visiting factories are two complete different things.

In my humble opinion I would say that the scenery you’ll miss by not doing the complete Golden Pass journey, will be compensated elsewhere. Switzerland has beautiful scenery everywhere. The Gruyère is beautiful too and I enjoyed my visit to the chocolate factory. I didn’t do the cheese factory yet.

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    17 April 2018 at 14:23:16 #882448

Thanks Chantel! It looks like once we left Gruyere (or Broc) we would not go the same route as the Golden Pass, correct? And it looks like it would be a faster route through Bern. Is it easy to get between Gruyere and Broc? Are reservations needed/required if we were to go that route instead of the Golden Pass?

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    17 April 2018 at 14:24:55 #882449

Thanks Tanman! Yeah, it looks like actual train time is a little over 5 hours, but I was coming up with 8 hours including stops. We have a reservation on hold that leaves at 8:44am and arrives Lucerne at 16:55.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 17:30:11 #882450

Yes, it would be faster through Bern (which is still more than 3 hours). From Gruyère to Broc you have no make sure you select Broc-Fabriques in the Swiss timetable. This ride takes about 28 min.

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    17 April 2018 at 19:29:24 #882451

Thanks Chantal!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass to Lucerne vs. Gruyeres’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.