Golden Pass: Wengen Montreux Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 13:16:24 #813159

Hi!

My Switzerland trip will consist of Zurich >> Wengen >> Montreux >> Lucerne >> Zurich.

I am wondering what’s the best way to travel from Wengen >> Montreux >> Lucerne. I have heard about the Golden Pass route.

1) Is it worth it to add 30-40 min and travel via Zweisimmen?

2) If yes, should I do it from Wengen to Montreux, or Montreux to Lucerne?

3) Is it necessary to get a 1st class ticket? I will be traveling in October with my husband, daughter, and my mom as well.

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 17:07:19 #869378

Hi Slothrabbit!

1. Yes, I think so! At Zweisimmen you can be on the panoramic trains to Montreux.
    2. Oh not a big difference…whichever works out schedule-wise. As I said the panoramic’s are on the Zweisimmen-Montreux leg
    3. It isn’t necessary no. It is certainly a nice option for that last leg noted above. Perhaps just upgrade for that. If you are on the modern panoramic train (denoted as MOB Panoramic) on the timetable you can also upgrade to the VIP seats. They are front facing seats at the very front of the train (the train driver is above you) that are quite unique. The other option are the heritage panoramic trains (Belle Epoque). Read a description of the train and train routes here.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 15:53:15 #869379

Thanks Lucas!

I’m a little confused by the panoramic trains. Do the 2nd class seats have panoramic windows too? Why is the 1st class better than 2nd class? Sounds like a silly question I know but I’m just wondering what’s so good for the upgrade.

Since we’re on this topic, I have some questions regarding the Swiss travel pass too:

I’ve already bought a 2nd class swiss travel pass. If I reserve a 1st class seat online, how and when do I pay the difference for the ticket price?

Also, I have selected the e-ticket version that was sent to me via email. Some websites said that I need to get it validated at the train station before first use or risk a fine, some say I can just board the train with the printout. Which is accurate?

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2017 at 17:34:11 #869380

Hi Slothrabbit,

There are several types of trains on each leg of the route, but if there are panoramic windows it will be in both classes (Lucerne to Interlaken Ost for example). The general difference between classes is explained on http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass, and the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg specifically has a few 1st class seats in the very front of the train (VIP seats). Reserving those costs more.

Upgrade tickets can be purchased at any staffed train station.

Pass validation is explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse. A printed Swiss Travel Pass is a valid travel document. Validation is mostly a thing of the past.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass: Wengen Montreux Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.