Golden Pass ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card

Golden Pass ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ggbrad326
ggbrad326
3 posts
Dec 30, 2017 - 5:31 PM

We are wondering how to purchase a Golden Pass train ticket ahead of time in order to secure a seat with the panoramic view (VIP seating) with the half fare card? Should we just reserve seats and buy tickets when we get there using the half fare card? Or should we buy the tickets at full price ahead of time to secure a seat?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3745 posts
expert
Dec 30, 2017 - 8:06 PM in reply to ggbrad326

You just need a reservation initially. You can buy the discounted ticket any time. Including before you actually have the Swiss Half-fare Card. When buying on-line just claim a half-fare card reduction. If you have a half-price ticket you just need to show the inspector the ticket and the half-fare card on the train.

You can buy the Swiss Half-fare Card on-line to print at home before departure to Switzerland.

Last modified on Dec 30, 2017 - 8:16 PM by rockoyster
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Dec 31, 2017 - 3:57 AM in reply to ggbrad326

When are you travelling?

Due to construction work between 19 Mar and 1 Jun 2018, there will be substitute buses for the stretch between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon, and individual travellers unfortunately cannot make any reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

In addition to that, from the beginning of September 2018 until an as-yet-undetermined date in 2019, carriages with VIP seats will be taken out of operation and renovated. During that time, GoldenPass MOB Panoramic trains will run without any VIP seats.

I have travelled in the VIP seats, which are fun, but the normal seats are much better for taking photos - in the VIP seats, the windscreen wipers are in the way.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
rockoyster
3745 posts
expert
Dec 31, 2017 - 6:48 AM in reply to Removed user

Well that's unfortunate Alpenrose. I was planning a VIP run (windscreen wipers notwithstanding) sometime September this year as part of our planned trip to the French side.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Dec 31, 2017 - 6:59 AM in reply to rockoyster

>> Well that's unfortunate Alpenrose. I was planning a VIP run (windscreen wipers notwithstanding) sometime September this year as part of our planned trip to the French side.

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men ... :-(

If you can't sneak in before the end of August, I guess there's nothing for it but to come back for yet another trip!

I'm looking forward to reports from the first people to travel in the VIP seats in the refurbished carriages. I wonder whether they have come up with some clever idea to make the windscreen wipers less obtrusive.

Alpenrose

Lucas
Lucas
7273 posts
expert &
Dec 31, 2017 - 9:16 AM in reply to ggbrad326

Hi ggbrad326,

If the timing works out and you need to make reservations you can do so here.
You can also buy tickets with the half fare card discount here & buy the actual Swiss Half Fare Card here.

Cheers!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018