Golden Pass worth it if it is going to rain

Golden Pass worth it if it is going to rain

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rushfan
Rushfan
7 posts
May 5, 2017 - 8:36 AM

I have the last leg of my trip to plan. I'll be in Fribourg and have one more night to stay somewhere before heading to Geneva to fly out (late). My question is, because the forecast is for rain, is it worth taking a scenic train ride. I was thinking maybe the Golden Pass. Also, I'd appreciate any ideas you might have as to what town to stay in. I'm in love with the romantic, classic medieval villages.... Thank you.

Lucas
Lucas
8820 posts
expert &
May 5, 2017 - 10:31 AM in reply to Rushfan

Hi Rushfan,

I like the Golden Pass in most weather and it can still be nice with rain - depending on the cloud cover. From Fribourg you can catch the Golden Pass in Interlaken or Zweisimmen (both are a little awkward to get to from Fribourg). You can also visit Gruyere for the cheese and chocolate factories and perhaps stay there or in Lausanne for your last night before Geneva.

Other members may know smaller towns in the area that may suit you as well.

Lucas

rockoyster
rockoyster
3904 posts
expert
May 5, 2017 - 10:32 PM in reply to Rushfan

Hi Rushfan,

You can get a direct connection Fribourg to Luzern (no changes) and do the entire Golden Pass line Luzern - Montreux if you like.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
May 6, 2017 - 2:15 AM in reply to Rushfan

Hi Rushfan -

Consider Murten.

Maybe Twann or Ligerz.

Le Landeron fits your description.

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 6, 2017 - 2:16 AM by Slowpoke
Rushfan
Rushfan
7 posts
May 6, 2017 - 2:34 PM

Thanks to all! 'My Swiss Alps' people rock!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
May 6, 2017 - 2:55 PM in reply to Rushfan

Thanks.

<<"Also, I'd appreciate any ideas you might have as to what town to stay in. I'm in love with the romantic, classic medieval villages....">>

The old town of Fribourg, down by the river, meets your definition.

And, weather forecasts have to be interpreted carefully. There are a lot of micro climates, and I've found that a forecast for rain may apply for only part of a day.

Try for a meal at Restaurant au Sauvage

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018