Golden Pass Zweisimmen to Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 10:12:36 #812010

I would like to travel on the Panorama Train between Montreux and Zweisimmen. I am travelling from Geneva Airport to Montreux via rail.

1) Can I can do the trip from Zweisimmen to Montreaux ? or is it the other way only ?

2) how do I get to Zweisimmen – best option.

Thank you . Sally

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 15:42:44 #864098

Hi Sally and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes you can go in either direction
    2. You can catch the Golden Pass panoramic train from Montreux – schedules can be found here. Trains labelled MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque are the panoramic trains. Reservations can be made through our web page here – links at the bottom of the page.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 5:01:19 #864099

thanks Lucas. I have researched a bit more and yes found that answer. However I am still overwhelmed with the return journey. I have decided to do the Golden pass from Zweisimmen to Montreux. BUT how to get to Zweisimmen is my main issue. I know I can catch one of many trains, buses etc etc. I just don’t know what would be best. I was trying to capture a different scene (route). Any suggestions. thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 10:12:56 #864100

Well from Geneva you could go to Broc then Boltigen and then to Zweisimmen before boarding the Golden Pass to Montreux. A bit of a long day (4 hours to Zweisimmen from Geneva roughly) but gives you that different scenery if you have the time!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 11:47:23 #864101

thanks Lucas. We fly into Geneva but we are actually staying in Montreux for a 3 days, they say it is nicer ! I am hoping so. I did look at the timetable etc, but it really confuses me (sorry) . I know I can catch a fast train but I assume it is the same route at the golden pass. so it makes no sense to do the same thing twice. I am on the eurorail timetable site and see that I can do Montreux Zweisimmen 02.09.17 dep 9.44am arr 11:32am but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to input Montreux/Broc/Boltigen/Zweisimmen. I am felling quite dumb !!

OR can i go Montreux via Vsip to Zweisimmen. I am sorry to take up your time, but I really cannot get the hang/flow of the timetables. I appreciate your help, thank you !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 16:59:45 #864102

Hi Sally,

No worries! You can use the SBB timetable I linked to above. It should be simpler for trains in Switzerland and I’m not familiar with the one you are using.

When you search for Montreux to Zweisimmen you can click the + sign to see what towns the train travels through. The panoramic trains (noted as MOB) do not go the same route as the faster regional trains (but similar).

If you are trying to visualize the routes via Broc etc. use Google Maps – I do! With the timetable you can enter those towns where it says add VIA on the SBB.ch web page to see the route exactly.

Going to Visp is going out of your way to get to Zweisimmen but if you have the time and inclination there is nothing wrong with it! Again use Google Maps to visualize it.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 10:46:53 #864103

thanks Lucas. Yes I have been using google maps and yay, I like it. I think I am nearly there. Its scary to think I may make the wrong choice. its a girl thing !! but I guess, every trip is an adventure , and this will be too. Fingers crossed I get it to work OK. I appreciate your time and advice, many thanks. sally.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 0:02:59 #864104

>> Yes I have been using google maps and yay, I like it. I think I am nearly there. Its scary to think I may make the wrong choice. its a girl thing !! but I guess, every trip is an adventure , and this will be too. Fingers crossed I get it to work OK.

It might be easier to visualise your transport options to Zweisimmen if you use the Swiss Travel Pass validity map, which has all the transport routes clearly marked. Red lines are trains, yellow lines are PostBuses. I have attached a screenshot taken from the map. You can download the full map from the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:33:19 #864105

SUPER ! Thank you Alpenrose666 . That is a good map for me to better understand the routes. many thanks . sally.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass Zweisimmen to Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.