Golden Pass: Zweisimmen to Montreux, VIP vs 2nd cl

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 1:16:49 #812533

Hello All,

I am planning to take the Golden Pass Panoramic train from Zweisimmen: to Montreux on 9/22/17 and ideally would like to take it VIP/1st class. I will be coming from Interlaken. Unfortunately the earliest available train with VIP is 12:25pm, but the train coming from Interlaken to Zweisimmen arrives at 10:19AM. Is it worth waiting for 2 hours to get the VIP /1st class seats? 🙂 Is there a big difference VIP/1st class.and 2nd class?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2017 at 2:30:20 #866331

Hi Chyna,

There are a limited number of VIP seats (10) which are alongside the driver so you get to see the driver’s view.

1st class is a bit more roomy (2 seats on one side and 1 on the other) than 2nd class ( 2 seats each side). I’m not sure if 2nd class also has panorama windows.

Do you have to get to Zweisimmen 2 hours early? The 10:19 arrival is direct from Interlaken Ost but there is a train leaving Interlaken Ost at 10:30 which gets you to Zweisimmen at 11:57 with a change at Spiez.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 3:15:07 #866332

Hi chyna,

>> Is it worth waiting for 2 hours to get the VIP /1st class seats? 🙂 Is there a big difference VIP/1st class.and 2nd class?

Travelling in the VIP seats is certainly a special experience, but is not the best option if you are keen on taking photos, as the windscreen wipers will be in every shot you take through the front window!

Ordinary first class or second class seats are better for taking photos in my opinion, and if you were happy with ordinary seats, you could take an earlier train.

If you are interested, I wrote about my experience in the VIP seats, and included some photos, in my post of Jun 24, 2015 – 3:50 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/seat-reservation-montreux-zweisimme-interlaken

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2017 at 3:21:14 #866333

Hi Aplanrose,

Thanks for sharing those pics.

Did you see Chyna’s earlier thread at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/help-with-itinerary-switzerland-and-austria-20d

She doesn’t seem to have elicited much feedback.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 3:43:58 #866334

>> Did you see Chyna’s earlier thread at http://www.myswiss alps.com/forum/topic/h elp-with-itinerary-switzerland-and-austria-20d. She doesn’t seem to have elicited much feedback.

I’ll take a look!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 3:55:44 #866335

oh! Those were the only trains I saw – the 9:08am and 1:08PM from Interlaken to Zweisimmen via the Golden Pass using http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/golden-pass/how-to-book.html. Are there other trains? I wanted to take the scenic route.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2017 at 4:03:23 #866336

Hi Chyna,

Your best bet for looking up timetables is here http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Or if you like old school try fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en

As long as you go Interlake Ost – Montreux via Zweisimmen you are on the scenic route. The Interlaken – Spiez – Zweisimmen part of the Golden Pass Line you just go on regular trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 5:16:05 #866337

Thank you Alpenrose666! It’ll be my first time in Switzerland and taking those type of panoramic trains. I just have the “fear of missing out” if I do the 2nd class seats, haha. But also this trip is really for my father so I want to give him the best experience possible. He’s 81 yrs old. So not sure which is worse, the 2 hours wait or 2nd class. Although, @rockoyster seems to have found an alternate route! 🙂 Thanks for the pix and link to your post btw!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 5:22:24 #866338

ok thanks rockoyster! This all seems so confusing to me. I thought the Golden Pass was the scenic route. But thank you so much for the alternate route. It’s via regular SBB train to Zweisimmen right?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2017 at 6:11:31 #866339

Yes, the route mentioned by Rockoyster is the scenic Golden Pass route. As long as you’re on that route it’s fine; the type of train does not matter all that much apart from the type of windows/seats as discussed above. Actually it’s BLS, not SBB, operating the trains to Zweisimmen. But such details are irrelevant. It’s just a train, in a very nice landscape 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2017 at 7:02:50 #866340

Hi Chyna,

Did you read all about the Golden Pass Route here? It can be confusing as it is a route covered by a bunch of trains on different sections rather than a specific train for the whole route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 20:05:58 #866341

Hi Rockoyster, just for clarification, the train you mentioned “Interlaken Ost at 10:30 which gets you to Zweisimmen at 11:57 with a change at Spiez.” – this is the scenic route as well right? Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 July 2017 at 20:23:22 #866342

Hi Chyna,

Yes, it is part of the scenic Golden Pass route.

From Interlaken to Spiez the train follows Lake Thun. Sit on the right of the train for best views.

We made a connection at Spiez a few weeks ago. The train we joined arrived from Bern. One half went on to Brig (which is where we were headed) and the other half went to Zweisimmen. Just make sure you are at the correct end of the platform. It is well signed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 21:23:54 #866343

Hi! I’m just wondering for the 1st row VIP seats, which 2 seats (seats 81, 83, 85, 87) do you think is the best. I checked out your pictures and do the side seats have a slight obstructed view? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 3:29:16 #866344

>> Hi! I’m just wondering for the 1st row VIP seats, which 2 seats (seats 81, 83, 85, 87) do you think is the best. I checked out your pictures and do the side seats have a slight obstructed view?

I think seat 83 (centre) would have the best view through the front window. The corner seats (81 and 85) will have the windscreen wipers in the way, but do have the advantage that you can take photos through the side windows as well, without having other people’s heads in the way. I think seat 87 is probably the worst seat, because you probably have the windscreen wipers in the way as well as not having access to a side window. The side window seats also have reduced leg room, so aren’t so suitable for tall people.

So there are pros and cons with the seating. As I said in my earlier post, I think the ordinary seats are better for taking photos than the VIP seats are. Even in the central seat, your photos might still have the windscreen wipers in them, but I can’t be sure because I didn’t sit there. My son had that seat, but didn’t take any photos!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Golden Pass: Zweisimmen to Montreux, VIP vs 2nd cl’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.