GoldenPass booking & train switches

• AdityaJosh25
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 May 2015 at 23:03:00 #807169

Hello,

I was going to travel with family from Lucerne to Montreux (via Interlaken & Zweissimen of course).
    While I would travel with Swiss Travel pass, I was looking to reserve the seats. I am traveling on a Sunday.

When I saw the timetables for the trains, I noticed that I had only about 13min at Interlaken and 5min at Zweissimen to switch trains. Is that even possible? I hope if I reserve, the trains are not delayed. And I am able to switch trains in time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aditya

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 May 2015 at 12:27:18 #842850

Welcome to MySwissAlps.com, Aditya!

Golden Pass seat reservations are not obligatory but if you want to make reservations, you shouldn’t worry about the times indicated for switching trains. 13 and 5 minutes are enough. Moreover, these trains serve one route together, so in most cases they’ll wait for each other. I hope this reassures you!

AdityaJosh25
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 May 2015 at 12:36:17 #842851

Thanks Annika for the info.

That means I won’t be too worried about switching trains in such a short time. About the reservations, you said they are not obligatory. Does that mean that there usually are some seats even if no reservation is done?

Thanks,

Aditya

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2015 at 12:49:54 #842852

Hi Aditya,

Finding seats is usually no problem. I would not book them in advance, except for traveling in a large group or if you prefer the VIP seats between Zweisimmen and Montreux (see the link Annika gave you).

AdityaJosh25
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 May 2015 at 20:22:33 #842853

Thanks a lot to both of you.

With my Swiss Pass, I know I dont have to pay for train tickets. But my concern still remains on how to get seats (for only 4 of us, not a big group):
    – For Luzern-Engelberg-Titlis (50%) & back to Luzern.
    – For Luzern-Interlaken-Zweissimen-Montreux-Geneva (above as you answered, I might reserve coz I see the seat availability has reduced in past 3 weeks for same date).

For Chocolate train, how do I get the 50% off with Pass (same question for Engelberg Titlis)?

Thanks for the replies & help.

Regards,

Aditya

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 May 2015 at 17:51:23 #842854

Hi Aditya!

You don’t have to book seats for the ride to Engelberg and the Titlis. It’s not required for the trip from Lucerne to Geneva either. As Arno mentioned, it is only obligatory for special VIP seats on the Golden Pass trains. If you want to travel in regular seats, you don’t have to book anything. If you do want to reserve seats just to be safe, please follow the link I included in my previous post.

You can get your discounts for the Titlis by showing your Swiss Travel Pass when buying the tickets. Titlis tickets can be purchased at the valley station in Engelberg. The Chocolate train excursion has to be booked in advance; please see here. During the booking process, you can choose the rate that applies to Swiss Travel Pass holders.

• The thread ‘GoldenPass booking & train switches’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.