GoldenPass Express train from Zurich

• Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    1 December 2022 at 22:45:14 #828694

Hi,

I’m not sure if I’ve already asked this question. I’ve read that GoldenPass Express will commence operation on 11 December 2022.

We will be traveling to Switzerland this coming May. We’ll be arriving in Zurich airport at 8:30 am, and staying in Wengen. We would like to experience the GoldenPass Express, Prestige Class. My question is – is it possible to take the GoldenPass Express train route from Zurich to Wengen, instead of the regular train?

If so, where can I get a step by step guide to make seat reservations, or anything that will help us not get lost? Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Maria

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2022 at 0:27:54 #948650

The Goldenpass express train will not suite your trip as it doesn’t run anywhere between Zurich and Wengen.

The Goldenpass Express route from 11 Decemeber 2022 is Interlaken – Spiez – Chateau d’Oex – Montreux

Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    2 December 2022 at 1:40:24 #948651

Thank you so much for the quick response and clarifying that.

Maria 😊

Anna
    6362 posts
    2 December 2022 at 4:39:51 #948652

Hi Maria,

You can find more information about the Golden Pass train here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass. Click on the Price tab to book tickets and make seat reservation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    3 December 2022 at 1:14:23 #948653

Thanks Anna. I’ll check the link.

Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    3 December 2022 at 2:36:10 #948654

Hi Anna,

Sorry to bother you again. I have attached here our Day 1 itinerary showing trips from Zurich to Wengen. I got this information from different websites. I would appreciate if you can take a quick look and let me know if this is correct.

Thanks a lot,

Maria

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    3 December 2022 at 16:57:28 #948655

To get from Zurich airport to Wengen requires at 3 or 4 train changes, depending on which train you take leaving the airport. No matter which, the trip will take 3 hours, plus or minus a few minutes. The basic route will be Zurich airport (Flughafen) to Bern to Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. The “scenic route” mentioned in your attachment is probably including Luzern as a transfer point rather than Bern. In that case the route is Zurich airport, Luzern, Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen, and then Wengen. Depending on which train you take to start, it will require either 3 or 4 train changes, and will take 4 hours plus/minus a few minutes. The section between Luzern and Intertelaken Ost is indeed more scenic than going through Bern.

The best way to determine times & routes is using the SBB timetable website. It provides very detailed information on train numbers, times, station platforms, stops, etc. Enter your departure point, destination, date, time, and hit “search.” It is very easy to use after you try it a couple times.

Anna
    6362 posts
    3 December 2022 at 18:53:56 #948656

Hi Maria,

That’s correct. If you prefer a scenic route, from Zurich main station, take a train to Lucerne. In Lucerne switch to the Lucerne-Interlaken Express to Interlaken Ost. Then from Interlaken Ost, take a train to Wengen. So all in all, three train changes.

If you prefer a faster connection, you can travel via Bern. You can check train schedules on the SBB timetable. YOu can find details on how to use the timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2022 at 19:09:46 #948657

Interlaken Ost – Wengen requires a change in Lauterbrunnen, so Zurich Airport to Wengen via Luzern will either need 3 or 4changes of train, as follows:

1) Zurich airport Zurich HB (change 1) – Luzern (change 2) – Interlaken Ost (change 3) – Lauterbrunnen (change 4) – Wengen

2) Zurich Airport – Luzern (change 1) – Interlaken Ost (change 2) – Lauterbrunnen (change 3) – Wengen

Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    3 December 2022 at 20:35:07 #948658

Hi all,

Thank you all so much for taking time to answer my questions. This is very helpful.

I need to start learning how to use the SBB app.

Regards,

Maria

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 December 2022 at 6:48:20 #948659

Hi Maria!

Yes, the SBB app and website are invaluable tools. A guide on basics (finding ticket prices for example) and advanced options can be found here: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

• The thread ‘GoldenPass Express train from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.