GoldenPass Express vs Gotthard Panorama Express

• Aaru21
    Participant
    11 posts
    10 May 2023 at 16:28:52 #829815

Hello

I visit this site almost every day to learn about our travel in July!! Truly helpful!!

We got the Swiss travel pass (2nd class) and want to take at least 1 and at the most 2 scenic train routes. Few of them are a little time consuming and out of our way or doesn’t fit my schedule. Wanted to know out of the following which will be a better option?

Golden pass express – from Montreux to Interlaken. Is it required to have the reservation on this? And is it same route as other regional trains?

Luzern- Interlaken Express – from Interlaken to Luzern. Will it be same as other regional trains? or is it more scenic? And since I have 2nd class pass, how do I get the reservation to 1st class? On their website I see option for reservation only.

Gotthard Panorama express – I understand this is one of the popular one, but it also takes almost 6 hours for Luzerne to Lugano. Also, they run about 4 times a day in July?

TIA

Aarti

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    10 May 2023 at 19:58:53 #954302

Hello Aarti,

That’s so nice to hear, you are making good use of the MySwissAlps website. You must be getting quite excited, soon it will be July!

In regard to your questions. Did you manage to read up on the pages regarding the GoldenPass?

If you scroll to “Regular trains versus GoldenPass trains”, here you can read all about the other regional trains that travel on the GoldenPass route too.

Seat reservations on the Golden Pass Line are not compulsory but should you wish to do so, you can. (July is peak season and depending how large your group is, if you definitely wanted to be seated together a reservation would be a good idea). You can read all about reservations in the “tickets” tab in the above link.

If you click on the “route” tab, here it will explain the 3 sections of the GoldenPass. If you are short on time, you could perhaps integrate a section or two into your itinerary – depending where you will be staying whilst here.

For upgrading to first class with your second class Swiss Travel Pass. Yes, this can be done at any rail station that is staffed, over the telephone or even at the ticket machines.

The Gotthard Panorama is another very beautiful scenic train journey. All is explained here:

You can research the departure times via the timetable, trains labeled PE (Panorama Express) are the Gotthard Panorama Express.

Many thanks, I hope this all helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2023 at 23:12:35 #954303

Golden pass express – from Montreux to Interlaken. Is it required to have the reservation on this? And is it same route as other regional trains?

The Golden Pass Express (GPEX) is currently not running throughout : it was launched with great fanfare but it was soon discovered that the new technology variable gauge wheelsets were wrecking track between Zweisimmen and Interlaken!

If the GPEX is not running just use to older version of the service which is a separate narrow gauge train Montreux – Zweisimmen, and normal gauge train Zweisimmen – Spiez – Interlaken

Luzern- Interlaken Express – from Interlaken to Luzern. Will it be same as other regional trains? or is it more scenic? And since I have 2nd class pass, how do I get the reservation to 1st class? On their website I see option for reservation only.

Interlaken – Luzern is the Brunig pass railway. It is pleasantly scenic rather than spectacular ( the Brunig pass is a low altitude pass) but there are very good lake views. All trains are branded Luzern – Interlaken Express. They run every hour throughout the day and have a high seating capacity so reservation isn’t really required.

Gotthard Panorama express – I understand this is one of the popular one, but it also takes almost 6 hours for Luzerne to Lugano. Also, they run about 4 times a day in July?

In my opinion it is obsolete (once a day only on some days, first class only , reservation obligatory) since the Treno Gottardo runs frequently and is a walk on service, and you can take any boat on Lake Luzern.

If you don’t need the boat ride, just take the Treno Gottardo train all the way from Luzern to Bellinzona

• The thread ‘GoldenPass Express vs Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.