Golden Pass line Lucerne-Interlaken with luggage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 19:33:44 #811987

Hi guys, I would be travelling from Lucerne to Interlaken via Meiringen. We are planning to stop there for a while, store our luggage in the lockers and enjoy Aare Gorge and the Reichenbach Falls.

Are luggage lockers available at Meiringen? What would be the approx charge with/without Swiss Travel Pass?

Also, since we are going via Meiringen, is it possible for us to go through GoldenPass Line panaroma train? If yes, will we have to make reservations twice? (Lucerne-Meiringen and Meiringen-Interlaken)

Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 May 2017 at 21:14:06 #863983

Hi Vartika31.

Here is part of your answer.

This link shows the opening times for the left luggage room at Meiringen:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/int ernet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof-finden/bahnhof.8308.ht ml

If there are lockers, they are usually listed under this same heading as the left luggage offices ( sometimes one is under services, the other is under equipment) on the SBB website. I checked Luzern for a test, and lockers are described

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html

I do not find lockers mentioned at Meiringen. I am surprised. I did not find them mentioned at Interlaken Ost, either. That surely is not correct, in my opinion. Perhaps they have not finished the new format for the SBB site, or, possibly, I’m just plain out of touch. Below, I suggest some ways to find out.

Also, in the version of the web site in place until a month or so ago, you could find prices for lockers and left luggage. I don’t know how to find that information in the new format.

I’d guess between 5 and 10 CHF per piece to leave luggage at the Left Luggage Room for a day or a part of a day. Does not matter if you have a pass or not – price is the same, but you might be asked to show a ticket or pass. That is necessary when you ship your luggage ahead; however, they may not care if you are leaving your luggage for a few hours or a day.

There is a phone number on that link above for Meiringen station. Or, you could contact the Tourist Info Office at Meiringen:

haslital.ch/en/summer/ kontakt/

Regarding your train options – for trains on the Golden Pass route as on any other Swiss train, your ticket is good for a day, does not require reservations, and thus you can get off a train along the route, look around, and catch a later train to continue.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

If you reserve special seats on the two kinds of panorama cars available on the Golden Pass Route, that freedom disappears. However, from Luzern to Interlaken ( called the Luzern -Interlaken Express) , the special trains where you can sit in the front of the first car in a big window area are not available. They are only available after you get to Zweisimmen. And, the train from Meiringen to Interlaken is only a very short ride. 5 minutes or so. So, I would suggest that simply catch the next train after you have finished looking around.

You also could consider the cost and timing issues if you go directly to Interlaken, check in, leave your luggage at your hotel, and take the short ride back to Meiringen.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 11:09:10 #863984

Hi there

I recently found information about luggage lockers in Meiringen for another member – can’t remember how! Anyway here is what I found

1 large locker – 44.7 x 61.5 x 88 for 8 chf, 6 medium lockers – 31.7 x 61.5 x 57.5 for 6 chf and 6 small ones – not sure of size or cost.

Hope that helps

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 May 2017 at 13:38:28 #863985

Hi Maggie – thanks.

I assume those are centimeter dimensions? Tat’s not a whole lot of lockers, but Meringen is not a large station….

I’m really annoyed about the “dumbing down” of the SBB web site. May be appropriate for smart phones, but it gives me fits when I can’t find all the information that used to be there.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 14:07:17 #863986

Hi Slowpoke

yes centimetres!

I am also not happy with new look website but somehow (can’t remember how I did it ) found link to old version so still able to use that! I stuck it in my favourites folder before I lost it again !!

try fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en – just copied that from my favourites folder where I have it listed under sbb online timetable. All the old stuff seems to be there (for now anyway!!!). Let me know if it works for you!

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 May 2017 at 15:04:03 #863987

Maggie- thanks.

I tried it and got the old start page, but it reverted to the new format when I went to stations and services.

I’ll keep trying, but have not got the time at this moment.

By the way, was in Affoltern i.E and drove the ridge road south of the show dairy all yhe way to the overlok at Sumiswald. I’ll post some images later, but I’m sure that was where you walked in 2009.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 0:50:33 #863988

>> I do not find lockers mentioned at Meiringen. I am surprised. I did not find them mentioned at Interlaken Ost, either.

For some odd reason, the pages for Meiringen and Interlaken Ost have two separate sections called “Equipment and mobility at the station”. The second section, which is underneath the opening hours and parking graphics, has the information about lockers.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 2:04:16 #863989

Hi slowpoke

Thanks for remembering that earlier conversation!! Will let you know if the pics do shed a light on my query! Hope you enjoy rest of your visit!

maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2017 at 8:29:48 #863990

Hi Alpenrose –

<<“For some odd reason, the pages for Meiringen and Interlaken Ost have two separate sections called “Equipment and mobility at the station”. The second section, which is underneath the opening hours and parking graphics, has the information about lockers.”>>

I worked at that a bit and cannot find it.

Could you post the URL for each of the two sections?

TIA,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 9:01:17 #863991

>> I worked at that a bit and cannot find it.

Could you post the URL for each of the two sections?

Meiringen station

http://www.sbb.ch/content/int ernet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof.8308.html

Interlaken Ost station

http://www.sbb.ch/content/int ernet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof.7492.html

All the information is on one page for each station (so only one URL per station), but you have to scroll down and expand the second “Equipment and mobility at the station” heading underneath the graphics that indicate information about opening hours and parking.

It seems strange that Meiringen has a much wider range of services listed than does Interlaken Ost (e.g. bicycle rental, currency exchange, special event ticket, travel agency, Western Union).

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2017 at 9:20:27 #863992

Got it.

Thanks!

I note that, not surprising, IO has over 100 large lockers.

Vartika31 might be able to use those.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2017 at 8:36:36 #863993

Hi Alpenrose.

I wrote to the SBB.

Here is the answer that I got.

<<“Thank you for your query. Under http://www.sbb.ch : “Station & Service” – “Further stations” – “Luzern” – “Equipement and mobility at the station”, you can find the prices for small, medium and large luggage lockers. You are right, it is for the moment not possible to find informations about the train station “Meiringen” online. I can confirm that there are some luggage lockers in Meiringen (Small: CHF 5.00 / Medium: CHF 6.00 / Large: CHF 8.00). Baggage information is available on our website: – http://www.sbb.ch/en/baggage (general information, Door-to-door lugagge and Flight Luggage) Wishing you a nice new week.’>>

I then described for him the solution that you provided, noted the same problem at Interlaken Ost, voiced my displeasure at being a beta-tester, as well as concern that this feature of the website was inconsistent with the image of quality that the SBB tries to maintain, and asked him to refer the issue to the webmaster.

I suspect I’ll get an answer.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 17:18:27 #863994

Hi, thank you for your replies.

@Slowpoke, Google Maps show me Meiringen to be more than an hour from Luzern but you’re saying it takes only 5 minutes?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 17:26:11 #863995

Hi vartika31,

He was talking about Meiringen to Interlaken not Luzern – although that route is 35 minutes by train…must have been a typo 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2017 at 18:17:25 #863996

Hi :Lucas-

You are correct. I was thinking about Brienz to Meiringen. So, my idea may not be useful.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2017 at 18:21:23 #863997

Hi Vartika31-

My mistake. For some reason, I was thinking about the time from Brienz to (or from ) Meiringen. Lucas is correct….about 35 minutes. Twice per hour.

By the way, Google maps is relaiable and useful, but for the best information about rail travel in Switzerland, you should take a look at the SBB timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

( PS, there is no “@” in front of my name).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 12:37:49 #863998

Oh, okay. No problem. Thank you so much Slowpoke, maggihorswell, Alpenrose666 and Lucas.

My current plan is to travel from Luzern to Meiringen. Stop at Meiringen to check out Reichenbach Falls and the Aare Gorge. Then board train to Interlaken. After researching a lot, I think I cannot board GoldenPass line (panoramic train) from Interlaken to Meiringen because it doesn’t stop at Meiringen. (Am I right?) So, I guess we’ll hop on one of the regular trains only.

Any feedback/advice? Thanks 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 15:43:35 #863999

Hi Vartika31-

<<“After researching a lot, I think I cannot board GoldenPass line (panoramic train) from Interlaken to Meiringen because it doesn’t stop at Meiringen.”>>

I’m surprised about the lack of a stop at Meiringen on the Golden Pass route. The trains pause there to reverse direction and attach a new locomotive to what was the back end of the train, and which now becomes the front end for the journey as far as Interlaken. So, when you leave Luzern sit on the right, and, at Meiringen you will now automatially sit on the (preferred) left side, viewing the lake.

The line over the Brunig is meter gauge, as is the stretch from Meiringen to Interlaken. From there on, I recall that it is standard gauge.

If you look at the map showing the tracks, you will see why the trains reverse at Meiringen:

map.search.ch/?pos=657122,175742&z=12 8

What day of the week will you be traveling, in what month, and at what time of day? I’ll look up the schedules for such a day and see what they say.

In the interim, I looked at a random day in June- the 14th., a Wednesday and picked a train leaving at 1005.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml?suche=true&ab=true&lan guage=en&vias=%5B%22%2 2%5D&webshopPreviewMod e=&von=Luzern&nach=Int erlaken+Ost&viaField1= &datum=Wed%2C+14.06.20 17&zeit=08%3A00&an=fal se

It shows a stop at Meiringen.

What may be confusing you is that the trains from Luzern to Interlaken Ost on the Golden Pass route are called the “Luzern-Interlaken Express.” The explanatory codes show “PA” which indicates Panoramic Coach ( or coaches.)

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:37:02 #864000

I’m confused. Is Luzern-Interlaken Express the same as GoldenPass line? Also, I read on MySwissAlps only that the GoldenPass line consists of two parts – one is from Luzern to Interlaken OST and the other is from Interlaken OST to Lausanne. Am I wrong? ._.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:53:16 #864001

Yes, the Interlaken – Luzern Express train is part of the Golden Pass route.

I hope you didn’t read that on MySwissalps!

The Golden Pass route (it is a route not a specific train) consists of 3 sections starting in Luzern and ending in Montreux (via Interlaken and Zweisimmen). The entire route is explained here.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 18:07:36 #864002

Hi Vartika31 –

Lucas directed you to the key link in MySwissAlps, which describes the route, differently from what you have stated.

Perhaps a way to make it more clear is to say that the Golden Pass Route is a set of tracks. Trains with different names run on different sections of the tracks.

From Luzern to Interlaken Ost, the train is the Luzern Interlaken Express. It is a narrow gauge line. From Interlaken Ost you continue via Spiez to Zweisimmen. At Zweisimmen, you change trains for the very scenic descent to the the shores of Lake Geneva at Montreux (not Lausanne.) In this last section, panoramic cars and other specialized cars are offered on some trains. These include special trains in which the front car has a bow window at its forward end, and you sit at the very front. The driver ( engineer for us Americans) sits above you in a special compartment. I always enjoy the descent to Montreux from approximately Montbovon onwards. The ride through the vineyards on switchbacks is really beautiful.

And, yes, they do stop at Meiringen. There are not many lockers there, but here is the schedule of the left luggage office:

<<“Days Opening hours

01.01.2017 – 31.12.2099 Mo–Fr 07:30 – 18:00

01.01.2017 – 31.12.2099 Sa,Su 08:00 – 12:00 13:00 – 17:00″>>

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Golden Pass line Lucerne-Interlaken with luggage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.